playing catch up

Apr 30, 2006 at 12:12am

playing catch up

i have a patcher than allows me to subtley alter the speed of playback of two identical waveforms panned either side of the stereo field.

obviously, when being used, the two sides will drift apart as the play speed is being affected

what i would like is a way for them to auto align, but subtly the one that is behind speeding up and the one ahead slowing down, exponentially, until unified where they can play together

is there a way to do this?

#25719
Apr 30, 2006 at 2:14am

heres what i have

#P window setfont “Sans Serif” 9.;
#P window linecount 1;
#P message 360 301 20 196617 75;
#P newex 364 271 48 196617 loadbang;
#P user gain~ 292 332 24 100 100 0 1.071519 7.94321 10.;
#P user gain~ 265 332 24 100 100 0 1.071519 7.94321 10.;
#P message 303 175 64 196617 loopinterp 1;
#P newex 37 159 85 196617 buffer~ testR -1;
#P flonum 378 84 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P newex 367 172 29 196617 sig~;
#P newex 323 217 74 196617 groove~ testR;
#P user ezdac~ 227 484 271 517 0;
#P flonum 226 83 35 9 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 221 221 221 222 222 222 0 0 0;
#P message 296 151 51 196617 startloop;
#P message 304 196 37 196617 loop 1;
#P newex 215 171 29 196617 sig~;
#P newex 222 217 73 196617 groove~ testL;
#P message 62 77 43 196617 replace;
#P newex 57 121 84 196617 buffer~ testL -1;
#P window linecount 2;
#P comment 103 77 100 196617 use the same file for both;
#P connect 17 0 14 0;
#P connect 16 0 17 0;
#P connect 9 0 15 0;
#P connect 3 0 14 0;
#P connect 11 0 10 0;
#P connect 7 0 4 0;
#P connect 13 0 3 0;
#P connect 13 0 5 0;
#P connect 13 0 9 0;
#P connect 6 0 3 0;
#P connect 6 0 9 0;
#P connect 5 0 3 0;
#P connect 5 0 9 0;
#P connect 2 0 12 0;
#P connect 2 0 1 0;
#P connect 4 0 3 0;
#P connect 14 0 8 0;
#P connect 14 1 15 0;
#P connect 15 0 8 1;
#P connect 10 0 9 0;
#P window clipboard copycount 18;

#76026
Apr 30, 2006 at 3:24am

Im still new at this stuff myself so I dont know exactly how to do what Im thinking…

maybe you could somehow use a cosine wave to modulate the playspeed of the grooves. connect one to each and have them half out of phase with eachother…then your playspeeds would modulate in opposite directions….tho im not sure how to sync the phase of multiple signals…and im not sure how to scale the values to be between reasonable numbers…like instead of going from -1 to 1, which would make the loops go back and forth, go from .25 to .75.
and of course you could change the speed at which they modulate. im still learning about the tricks with the oscillators so maybe someone could shed some light on this.

Of course this would continuously modulate the speeds, Im not sure if you meant that you want the loops to go out of sync then come back together and stay that way…

#76027
Apr 30, 2006 at 8:49am

>maybe you could somehow use a cosine wave to modulate the playspeed of
>the grooves. connect one to each and have them half out of phase with
>eachother…then your playspeeds would modulate in opposite
>directions….tho im not sure how to sync the phase of multiple
>signals…
use one [cycle~] and inverse the signal with [*~ -1]

>and im not sure how to scale the values to be between
>reasonable numbers…like instead of going from -1 to 1, which would
>make the loops go back and forth, go from .25 to .75.
[*~ 0.25] -> [+~ 0.5]

>and of course you could change the speed at which they modulate. im
>still learning about the tricks with the oscillators so maybe someone
>could shed some light on this.

:-)
J

#76028
Apr 30, 2006 at 11:56am

i want the signals to be modulated uing a midi x/y pad, x being the speed of the left signal, y being the speed of the right.

i have a utility that detects change, and can detect when you stop inputing new data, so when that bangs, i want the signals to reallign, but gradually, i dont want it to jump

#76029
May 1, 2006 at 8:39am

John wrote:
> what i would like is a way for them to auto align, but subtly the one
> that is behind speeding up and the one ahead slowing down,
> exponentially, until unified where they can play together

If you use groove~ you can compare the position outlets. If the
difference is smaller than a certain threshold the speed should become
the same…
In witch direction you have to alter the speed factor is also just a
question of comparing them…

Stefan

[][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~
\ /|() ()|
))))) )| | |( \
/// _/)/ )))))
___/ ///

————————-x—-
–_____———–|———–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()—-
– _|_)—-|—–()———–
———-()————x—–

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09

#76030
May 1, 2006 at 8:40am

John wrote:
> so when that bangs, i want the signals to
> reallign, but gradually, i dont want it to jump

a simple line would do it.

Stefan

[][] [][][] [][] [][][]
[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Stefan Tiedje
Klanggestalter
Electronic Composition
&
Improvisation

/~~~~~
\ /|() ()|
))))) )| | |( \
/// _/)/ )))))
___/ ///

————————-x—-
–_____———–|———–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()—-
– _|_)—-|—–()———–
———-()————x—–

14, Av. Pr. Franklin Roosevelt,
94320 Thiais, France
Phone at CCMIX +33-1-57 42 91 09

#76031
May 1, 2006 at 9:39am

On 1-May-2006, at 10:39, Stefan Tiedje wrote:
> In witch direction you have to alter the speed factor is also just
> a question of comparing them…

Du willst sie, sozusagen, verhexen…

————– http://www.bek.no/~pcastine/Litter/ ————-
Peter Castine +–> Litter Power & Litter Bundle for Jitter

iCE: Sequencing, Recording & |home | chez nous|
Interface Building for |bei uns | i nostri|
Max/MSP Extremely cool http://www.castine.de

http://www.dspaudio.com/

#76032
May 1, 2006 at 1:21pm

Quote: Stefan Tiedje wrote on Mon, 01 May 2006 02:40
—————————————————-
>
>
> a simple line would do it.
>
> Stefan
>
did you look at my current solution? how can i monitor playback position and start altering there speed until they are synched again?

#76033
May 2, 2006 at 6:50pm

haven’t looked at your solution but you could use 2 wave~ or play~ objects
and drive them both with the same phasor~ (or line~ or whatever you want to
drive them) and then you’ll alter the speed of each by adding or subtracting
to the driver (with line~ or an oscillator for LFO/chorusy effects), and
then you can bring them back into phase by slowly removing the addition to
the main driver.

#76034
May 2, 2006 at 7:13pm

Or you could use pow~ on one of them. If you use an exponent of 1.1 or
so, it’ll slow down, then catch up at the end of each cycle.

Peter McCulloch

#76035

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.