Forums > Jitter

Playing Multiple Videos as Layers

March 8, 2014 | 11:24 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post. I recently found out about Max/MSP/Jitter because I was telling a fellow  installation artist about a problem I had with an interactive music video that I made in flash. In the video you could use the keyboard to turn off and on members of the band and their respective audio tracks. Flash bottomed out and I had to go with tiny videos because it couldn’t handle the 5 instrument layers and a background. Even with this it took an untenable amount of time to load the bloated flash file. So basically I have 6 video layers, all of their alphas are set, so I just need to stack them one on top of the other in a viewer. Using 2- 4MIXRs, I was able to have all 5 instrument layers playing together, I just set it to "+" and set each layer to maximum. THe problem I am running into is getting those to just sit on top of my background layer. It doesn’t have any alpha- it didn’t need to because the instrument videos all have their alpha set  and were filmed in a way that  they will not need masking.  Does anyone know of a tool for simply stacking videos at full alpha in a VIEWR?  It would be great of  I can set my BG video to the back most layer and the 2nd 4MIXR to the front layer. Thank you ahead of time, I have been reading the forum a lot it it really seems like an amazing supportive community!

Cheers,

Eli

March 10, 2014 | 11:05 am

i recommend you dive into opengl for this. you can simply create a jit.gl.videoplane for each layer, set @blend_enable 1 @depth_enable 0 on each, and control the layering order with the @layer attribute. the default blend mode uses the alpha channel.

you can then download the jit.gl.hap external (os x, 32 bit only) which is a much more efficient player for quicktime movies (including those with alpha channels).

March 10, 2014 | 9:57 pm

Awesome. That seems way more elegant than trying to stack 4MIXRs inside of 4MIXRs. Now if I wanted to build that as an application for the web (would it make it a javascript app?) would it package jit.gl.hap within a player, or would one need to use the default player? Thank you Rob!

March 11, 2014 | 10:15 am

there is no way currently to deploy a max patch to the web.
you can build a standalone application, but it must be run from a desktop/laptop.
the jit.gl.hap external should get automatically included in the standalone when you build it.

March 22, 2014 | 12:22 am

For the installation, that will work great. I was just hoping to integrate it into my online portfolio. Oh well! Thanks for all of the advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)