Forums > MaxMSP

Please Help, It's Doin' my brain in.

August 23, 2012 | 8:47 pm

I have tried to figure it out so many different ways, I think about it at work, get excited about a Eureka moment, get home, try it and it still bloody doesn't do what I want it to;

I need the Turqoise (BYPASS RANDOM) toggle to act like a clip in live; so that even if it's pressed out of time with the tempo objects pulse it just sends the 1 or 0 on the next beat.

I'm going to attach the number box with 1 to the number box with 4 in…….. with the aim of the sequence allways beginning at 1 again (in time) whenever I switch betwwen normal and random.

I hope you get what I'm trying to do and the above makes sense.

A Very Frustrated

Danny ;)_

[attachment=202036,4330]

Attachments:
  1. DannysBrickWall.png

August 23, 2012 | 9:42 pm

I have a feeling this was answered before? No? OK, some clues: the [int] object or message box can store a number without passing it, until it receives a bang from, oh I don’t know, [sel 1 2 3 4].

Brendan

August 23, 2012 | 9:48 pm

Try to add a [pipe 0.0.0. @quantize 1n] after your toggle, if I get what you are after ?

August 23, 2012 | 10:50 pm

@ n00b_meister & Stephane

Thankyou for taking the time to try and help me. I must be thick as pig shit because I still cant get it to work.

I can trigger a 1 everytime i press the bypass toggle no probs, but because numbers are coming through from the Counter Path or the Random path at the same time, two bangs happen in quick succession (like a flam) and i only want the bangs to be to the pulse of the tempo object.

I know i must be being a complete plonker but could you show me what you mean with a screenshot or something.
Here's the simplified patch without the bullshit

Thanks again peeps

[attachment=202040,4331]

Attachments:
  1. Patchminusbullshit.png

August 23, 2012 | 11:37 pm

The tempo and setclock objects are from an earlier era of Max.

These days we try to encourage the use of metrical time via the transport object

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 24, 2012 | 12:40 am

i use milliseconds all the way, except for user interface.

August 24, 2012 | 10:11 am

I think the timing conflict can be resolved with an [int] object as Brendan suggested.
Post your simplified patch with ‘copy compressed’ so we can try the modification.

August 24, 2012 | 7:10 pm

@Andrew….. Thanks so much for that example, i’ll enjoy messin’ around with the possibilities.

@Broc….. I didn’t save the Simplified patch but here’s the main one, I’d like to see how the INT object works and where to place it :)

Thanks so much guys, the support from this site is immense….. It’s packed with altruistic users :)-

August 24, 2012 | 8:47 pm

Here is your patch with [int] to ensure that the switch takes effect only at next cycle start.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)