Forums > MaxMSP

Please Point me in the Right Direction

July 1, 2007 | 4:34 pm

I’ve been using Live to play notes into Max to trigger various combinations of oscillators I’m experimenting with. I would like to be able to give each note I play a note off message so it doesn’t keep playing. In the future I would also like to be able to play directly into Max without going through another app.

Could anyone just point me to which tutorials and perhaps even object help files that I should study in order to learn to accomplish this?

This isn’t for school, although I am a music student, but I know people around here don’t like it when a person just asks how to do something. That’s not what I want, just a quick roadmap of where to look.

Thanks!

July 1, 2007 | 6:33 pm

Take a look at makenote in the documentation, which will automatically provide note-offs after a specified time (in milliseconds) which you can vary if you want. Also look at flush, which will terminate all held notes when it’s given a bang message. Flush must be inserted before makenote so it can track all notes being played, but it works on only one channel. I wrote an object called santaflush which is a multi-channel flush.

I also wrote a patcher for playing notes on the computer keyboard, but I know many other people have too. Email me at dudley2r@yahoo.com if interested.

D Wright
ludwig_sears

July 2, 2007 | 2:12 am

Thank you! That’s a good start. I like the idea of the keyboard patch, but I’m going to focus on using a midi keyboard for now.

Thanks again!

July 2, 2007 | 2:18 am

I need to correct myself — flush connects to a noteout, not a makenote. And a MAX object called midiflush will do multichannel flushes, but my Santaflush (written on Dec. 24) is simpler to set up.

July 2, 2007 | 8:48 pm

At 11:34 AM -0500 7/1/07, David Huff wrote:
>I’ve been using Live to play notes into Max to trigger various combinations of oscillators I’m experimenting with. I would like to be able to give each note I play a note off message so it doesn’t keep playing. In the future I would also like to be able to play directly into Max without going through another app.

So why are they sustaining? Do you have the moral equivalent of a VCA+Envelope after the oscillators?

A simple example of this using adsr~can be found in a patch called NoiseBlip, which can be found in max examples section of my website: http://www.xfade.com/max/examples

There’s another example called StupidSynth which uses the line approach. This one is using the poly~ object, which makes it slightly more complicated.

-C

Chris Muir | "There are many futures and only one status quo.
cbm@well.com | This is why conservatives mostly agree,
http://www.xfade.com | and radicals always argue." – Brian Eno

July 3, 2007 | 12:15 am

Dude, I don’t think ST was talking about an MSP audio patcher.
He wrote:
"I would like to be able to give each note I play a note off message so it doesn’t keep playing."

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)