pls help noobie kickb0x

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:27pm

pls help noobie kickb0x

Hi guys.

I’m pretty new to Max and am trying to build a synth that will give me some kick drums…. I’m slowly getting there, but I just can’t get my head round two things…. Any chance someone can help me? I’m sure these have been asked/answered before but being a noob, searching this forum is easier said than done! :)

1. Gain Sliders – Is there a way to limit the min/max signal? I don’t want any of my sliders to ever go over 0dB?

2. clip~ – I’ll be damned if I can work it!! I basically want a slider to distort the main “body” of the kick before it reaches the master section, but distortion amount to be from 0 – w/ever.

Here’s the patch:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Dec 4, 2010 at 2:18pm

did you try the log scale value of the gain~ slider? Setting it to a value lower than the 7.942 default will give more headroom, but don’t ask me to verify that the signal won’t still clip; there’s some log, dB maths going on in [gain~] that i’m too lazy to research. As for [clip~], try [tanh~] instead; inside every object’s helpfile is a handy link “See Also:”

Summing signals with [+~] before the main output slider is also going to create some DSP maths issues for you; ensure your ‘body’ signal is clipped/distorted before sending it to the final output.

Hopefully, my ill-informed comments will prompt more learnEd Maxers to chip in.

Brendan

Dec 4, 2010 at 2:32pm

ps:

[attachment=147982,1480]

Attachments:
  1. tanhForum.jpg
Dec 4, 2010 at 3:03pm

Thanks Brendan, yeah good point about the [+~]… I keep thinking in the analogue world of summing mixers :s

Will keep fiddling and repost the patch soon thanks

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:15pm

pps
the [tanh~] is hiding on the right of the above screen;

note to self: stop using screengrabs

Dec 4, 2010 at 4:41pm

updated version, thanks for the scale !!

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
Dec 6, 2010 at 12:46am

hey, that’s great! nicely done!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.