poly doesn't work until loaded in another patch…

Jul 7, 2010 at 6:44pm

poly doesn't work until loaded in another patch…

In the patch I’m working on, I have a fully tested poly abstraction that I know works. However, when in place, it doesn’t function at all. Bizarrely though, when I load a separate patch at the same time that contains a poly object, it starts working perfectly.

It also starts working if I delete and recreate the object, or change one of the arguments. Presumably this is just because the object is being reloaded, but why is it not working on startup? I would post the patch but it’s absolutely huge so can anyone offer any pointers on what might cause this?

Jul 7, 2010 at 8:11pm

Is it possible that the poly has the same name as another object in your Max search path?

Jul 7, 2010 at 9:27pm

Max isn’t reporting that, and its definitely the right object, just fails to make any sound.

Jul 8, 2010 at 11:57am

can it be that you forgot to remove the “args” when loading it as [foo] object?

Jul 8, 2010 at 2:54pm

Sorry I don’t quite understand what you mean there? I’m currently declaring the arguments for the poly using the @args attribute.

Jul 8, 2010 at 5:42pm

It’s pretty hard to advise without a patch. I’It’s possible that you have some initialisation issues to do with loadmess or loadbangs.

d suggest that you attempt to isolate the problem and locate the problem more precisely.

Here are some questions you might want to think about:

1 – What do you mean doesn’t function at all?
2 – Can you confirm that audio/messages are getting in/out of the poly~ in the right places?
3 – How far can you trace the audio / message path successfully.
4 – Are you sending in bad values from the host patch on load?

It’s pretty much impossible to tell beyond that without a patch. t’s possible that you’re suffering some esoteric bug, but more likely you’ve (inadvertently) done something to stop it working – especially if you’re dealing with a large patch. In these situations the only answer is to go over the code very finely to find the error.

Alex

Jul 9, 2010 at 9:25pm

I found the error. It was due to a loadbang firing a ‘;dsp start’ message to start audio with the patcher. Removed this and poly~ audio starts as normal.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.