poly~ object difficulties

Jun 21, 2006 at 4:49pm

poly~ object difficulties

hi there, im new to this forum and new to max/msp :)

Im building a synthesiser and have managed to get it playing polyphonically using the poly~ object with my synth as a sub-patch inside.

The main issue im having right now is that all of the controls in the sub patch (and the sub-patch itself) only correspond to the first note of polyphony, when a second note is played, i cannot reach its controls. how do you get to the panel of that instance? (the way i have built it so far is with amp env, detune controls etc INSIDE the sub patch,)

i mean, this is great that every note of polyphony has independant controls, but id like the controls in the first instance to control all notes of polyphony if possible, because i intent of copying what i have so far three times ( = 3 polyphonic oscillators)

i hope this makes sense, any help would be much appreciated! Its so easy to get stuck with this software, but its so rewarding when you get out of it!

many thanks

Jun 21, 2006 at 6:49pm

If you send the pitch message with “note” or “midinote” message through the 1st input but send other message commands through other inputs of poly~ instance, then usually you won’t be able to successfully send these messages to the right instance which is assigned automatically by poly~ for the message with “midinote” or “note”.

The possible solution is to pack all the message command together through only one input (the 1st input from the left) and unpack them in poly subpatch. For other messages sent through other poly input, you need to specify their target instance by using “target” message.

It seems to me that any message that uses the auto assignment function of poly~ with “midinote” or “note” message needs to go to poly instance through the leftmost input only.

I hope this will help.

Jun 21, 2006 at 8:42pm

hi, many thanks for the reply! some great info there

so far, i am only using one input, and i’m putting only midinote and velocity (packed) through to the subpatch. detune knobs,env’s,osc selector + pretty much all functionality are now in the sub patch, so the only thing that needs to be sent through at the moment is midi.

Its just that those parameters (waveform selection etc) only apply to the first note held down, is there any way to make these changes in the sub patch apply to all 16 instances?

thanks again

Jun 21, 2006 at 10:18pm

Quote: is there any way to make these changes in the sub patch apply to all 16 instances?
>
> thanks again
—————————————————-

You can input the selection number to “trigger” object (“t b i”) , and connect the output of “b” to “target 0″ message” sent to the leftmost input of poly. Send your selection number through “i” connected to other input of poly~.

This way, you can apply your waveform selection number to all the instance at once at any time. However, it will also affect the note you are holding currently.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:00am

simon epstein wrote:
> The main issue im having right now is that all of the controls in the
> sub patch (and the sub-patch itself) only correspond to the first
> note of polyphony

use target 0

Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.