poly~ prepend open voice – why?

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:06pm

poly~ prepend open voice – why?

Hi

I have probably misunderstood this, but I cannot make changes to the individual voices, right?

If I open voice 3, make a change to it, and close the voice window, it forces me to save the change. And then the change appears in all the voices. So, what is the point in including the prepend open voice option?

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:15pm

You’re supposed to be able to change individual voices. I can’t remember the syntax (I’m at work) but there’s a way to make a message go to all voices (probably default), one of them, all but one of them, etc.

If it’s forcing you to save the change, that probably means you’re editing the abstraction, right? There are two ways to open the guts of a poly~. One is to view what’s going on without changing the structure; this will correspond to the activity of a particular voice. The other way to open the window is so that you can edit it. In this case, you’re not changing any of the voices; rather, you’re changing the abstraction that they are all instances of. When you save that, they all change.

Oct 14, 2009 at 6:40pm

that’s funny you would’ve found you’re answer in my post “quick one about poly~” which is only few posts before yours.

the answer is : target $1
target 0 addresses all voices

I use open to see the last voice. When I see the last voice starting to be used, I know I’m pushing it. < - this is for granular type stuff i mean.

cheers.

phil

Oct 20, 2013 at 12:56pm

Hi,

If you wanted to select voice number two, would you write; target 2 $1 or target $2.

Thankyou Wendy

Oct 20, 2013 at 7:01pm

the point of beeing able to open them individually is to see what temporary changes have been made.

for example, you could have a numberbox in a poly patcher, and then you send a number to voice#3.
you can now open the voices and see if it worked.

if you could change the code of one voice permanently this would be totallly against the idea of poly~. (and where would you store this new patcher?)

Oct 21, 2013 at 6:38am

$1 and $2 are replaceable arguments. “target $1″ message to poly~ means that the next message you send to poly~ will be adressed to the $1nth instance. So if you send a message “target 3, note 123 45″ only the instance numbered 3 will receive the message “note 123 45″.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.