Forums > MaxMSP

[polybuffer~ @embed 1] does not bang on load

June 14, 2013 | 9:00 pm

I suspect this is intentional, but I believe it would be helpful if when the embed attribute is set to 1 the polybuffer~ object can still output a bang from its right outlet when load into ram is completed.
At the moment it does not output anything; as a consequence my patch does not know when the embedded files have been loaded. I therefore have to resort to manual loading of a folder.
Is there a reason for this behaviour?
T

June 15, 2013 | 9:56 am

You shouldn’t need it, when the embed attribute is set the sound files are loaded when the patcher is loaded. Using loadbang should be sufficient.

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

The main reason for this behavior is that the sound files are loaded in polybuffer~ when the patcher is instantiated, the outlets and connections of the polybuffer~ may or may not exists. Note that the behavior is consistent with buffer~.

June 15, 2013 | 8:56 pm

Thanks for the reply Emmanuel. That all makes good sense.

So, if embed is set, I need to know if the polybuffer~ files will be fully loaded _before_ the dump message is sent (from a loadbang or loadmess), even if it’s loading lots of mp3 files. Or does that not matter? (does it just retain the information, so load time is not an issue?)

here’s a patch to illustrate:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)