Forums > MaxMSP

Poly~/Groove~ Object Help

December 8, 2013 | 1:22 pm

Hi

Can anyone explain to me how to get a Groove~ object working with a Poly~ object?

December 8, 2013 | 2:27 pm

They should work together as described. What are you trying to make? If it’s a polyphonic sampler, it’s a bit trickier. If you only need monophonic playback, I could post something.

December 8, 2013 | 2:52 pm

I’m trying to make my Sampler polyphonic. I got it working in monophonic mode but I’m struggling to work out how to make it poly. Ive looked at the help files and some videos on youtube but im still puzzled as i cant get it to work.

December 8, 2013 | 5:45 pm

Have you looked at the poly~ example in the adsr~ help file? That is what I used, and it seems to work. You would just need to replace the synth section with groove~ stuff. Take a look, and see if that makes sense, otherwise I’ll post what I have (I’m hesitant to do this though, because I am not an expert in polyphony!).

December 8, 2013 | 9:59 pm

Polyphony management is by far one of the largest hurdles in max to jump over so you’re not alone. Do persist though with the tutorials and such however, there’s a lot of info out there.

What problem are you having exactly with the groove~ object? You mention you get it to work monophonically but not polyphonically… it would help to see what stage you’re at with this so we can best help you out.

If voice management is the issue, there are a number of ways to deal with this… personally, I make use of the standard [poly] object outside my poly~ abstraction to deal with polyphony, which passes through target messages to the poly~ abstraction. I’ve done up a basic sampler using groove~ for you. Here’s the poly~ subpatcher – save this as ‘mypoly’ somewhere in the search path first:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

..and the parent patcher:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

December 9, 2013 | 3:28 am

Hi

You guys have been really helpful, I got it working now with much help from those patches you sent, I understand it a lot more now so thanks for that.

The last question i have though is how on earth do you get a poly~ object working in Max for live? for some strange reason its not finding its path directory.

December 9, 2013 | 3:34 am

Actually sorry about that last question, i think its because you have to have all the patcher files within ableton and not anywhere else like my external hardrive.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)