Forums > MaxMSP

Popup window like dialog and opendialog

May 17, 2011 | 10:56 am

Is it possible to have a pop-up window like dialog and opendialog show (or something like it), but with just information and no input possibilities?

May 17, 2011 | 11:21 am

just use a subpatcher. you can use "open" to [pcontrol] to pop it open, either by mouse click or some other means, and you can control the appearance (like floating/non-floating, title bar/no bar, etc.) with [thispatcher] inside the subpatch. Without a title bar, you’ll need a way to close the window: again, "close" to [pcontrol], but it has to go out an outlet to the [pcontrol] that’s outside…it closes itself from the inside, seems a little weird but works fine.

I use [pcontrol] so that I can hide the actual "p subpatch" object, and make the open button a nice-looking textbutton labeled "Help" or whatever’s appropriate. You can center the text in [textbutton] which makes it look nicer than a message box IMO, and there’s no text wrapping problems.

with a subpatch of course you can also have input if you want…really, you can have pretty much anything :)

February 13, 2012 | 10:08 pm

but how to get that bottom menu (lock, new object, zoom, etc.) away?

February 13, 2012 | 10:22 pm

@xidance:

send message window flags notitle, window exec to thispatcher for removing titlebar.
you get rid of the bottom menu easily in the patcher inspector! just uncheck: show toolbar on open.
you may want to check open in presentation too ?
check the helpfile for [thispatcher]

cheers

February 13, 2012 | 10:59 pm

it doesn´m matter if presentation mode, the bottom menu is there in both.

but it’s ok. i just asked for a standalone which someone will use who’s just using Max’ runtime (which has no bottom menu).

February 13, 2012 | 11:16 pm

no it shouldn`t be there if you save the patcher with "show toolbar on open" in the patcher inspector!
i did it many times

February 13, 2012 | 11:21 pm

have a look

Attachments:
  1. Archive.zip

February 14, 2012 | 12:15 am

ok thanks, i’ll have it for future.

November 18, 2012 | 2:30 am

I’m also wondering if there is a dialog function as the OP described.

I’d like to create a very basic warning popup that describes the issue, then requires the user to click the box "okay" (or whatever the text would be) in order to be allowed to continue using the patch. Similar to when you, say, "save as" in Max and you’re unable to interact with any windows until the "save as" window is closed.

I’m aware that you can create a patcher without any menus, status bars etc. to do a similar function, but this method still allows the user to operate the patch while this warning dialog window is open.

Any suggestions?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)