Forums > MaxMSP

porblems routing line output via router?

September 4, 2007 | 2:42 pm

I am using the line output of long envelopes (made with function object) to generate changing control parameters (e.g. sample duration, FM carrier frequency, sample pitch). The target values were not signals yet routing them using a router object caused problems: the envelope data was really delayed and stretched out (basically distorted). It seemed like this was generating too many max messages for the router to deliver them in realtime.

I fixed the problem by converting them to signals and using the matrix~ object instead.


September 4, 2007 | 2:56 pm

On 4 sept. 07, at 16:42, Danjel van Tijn wrote:

> I am using the line output of long envelopes (made with function
> object) to generate changing control parameters (e.g. sample
> duration, FM carrier frequency, sample pitch). The target values
> were not signals yet routing them using a router object caused
> problems: the envelope data was really delayed and stretched out
> (basically distorted). It seemed like this was generating too many
> max messages for the router to deliver them in realtime.
>
> I fixed the problem by converting them to signals and using the
> matrix~ object instead.

That sounds weird. Could you post an example?

ej


September 5, 2007 | 2:43 pm

Danjel van Tijn schrieb:
> It seemed like this was generating too many max messages for the
> router to deliver them in realtime.

I bet you have some right to left ordering issues not sorted out. router
works fine for me (and certainly is waayyy more effective than a matrix~
object… ;-)

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com


September 7, 2007 | 1:39 am

what takes time is when you are using many arguments to route.

if the input to route is a hughe amount of data (such as lists from line) you should try using the last i.e. the rightmost outlet from route for this type of input.


September 7, 2007 | 1:48 am

the issue is that all of the input data I am routing is from line 0bjects. 5 inputs to 16 outputs.

Right now the matrix~ object is working fine although I assume this is far mroe taxing on cpu.

I will make up a model patch to show you guys what I am doing.

thanks,

Danjel


Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)