Forums > MaxMSP

Possible to create a sub-patcher by reference without creating a new file?

June 16, 2014 | 11:09 am

I am aware that you can create custom objects by referencing a patch file within the search path. Is this the only way to make a sub-patcher that can have multiple references, so that when I can edit it in one place and have all of the instances be affected? I would love to be able to do this without generating any external file dependencies.

Thanks!

June 16, 2014 | 12:30 pm

Is this the only way to make a sub-patcher that can have multiple references, so that when I can edit it in one place and have all of the instances be affected?

Yes, but…. if your aim is to not create any external file dependencies, you can create those files first, load them as abstractions into bpatchers, then open the loading bpatchers’ inspectors and choose ‘embed patcher in parent’. Then your patch will work on its own without requiring the external files because they’ll be embedded within the bpatchers(you’ll still need the original files around for whenever you want to edit, though… in which case you need to reload into bpatchers each time you edit… but this can help with cutting down number of files when distributing your app/patch to others).

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)