Forums > MaxMSP

pow vs pow~

December 22, 2010 | 2:03 pm

is it just me that is irritated by the fact that pow and pow~ have their inlet inversed?

pid
December 22, 2010 | 3:18 pm

yes

December 22, 2010 | 3:28 pm

It’s tempting to [mis]quote Ralph Waldo Emerson on consistency.

Yes, there are lots of things where one could wish Max/MSP were more consistent about. This is one of them.

December 22, 2010 | 3:34 pm

agreed

December 22, 2010 | 5:25 pm

it is less confusing than cos and cos~.

pid
December 23, 2010 | 10:05 am

the reason i said "yes", is because it has taken me years to learn all the inconsistencies! so i come to appreciate them like a small reminder of my knowledge gathering efforts!

December 23, 2010 | 11:02 am

what I like about max is that after 18 years of power-using it, you are still humbled by stupid things like this.

anyway, it takes less long for me to sort them that 18 years ago ;-)

p

December 24, 2010 | 9:43 am

Other inconsistencies :
To open a soundfile with sfplay~, send the message "open".
Now send the same message to a buffer~, the waveform window opens while read/replace/import opens a sound.

You can send a list of pairs of time/destination to line~ while line accepts only one.

(to be continued)

Removing some inconsistencies would be a nice goal for Max 6.

December 24, 2010 | 10:40 am

worst of all is [gate].

pid
December 24, 2010 | 11:37 am

oh no roman, i love the gate one, it makes me smile!

roald i know it is not the point, but i stumbled across a lovely little line abstraction recently…

Attachments:
  1. giriline.zip

December 24, 2010 | 11:40 am

"To open a soundfile with sfplay~, send the message "open".
Now send the same message to a buffer~, the waveform window opens while read/replace/import opens a sound."

hahaha, yes, that one is one of the silliest…. i was tutoring several people back in school, everyone who starts Max seems to run into that same stupid-ass inconsistency.
but Hey! being inconsistent is what Max is known for!

IF YOU EVER HAD A LIFE, YOU LOST IT WHEN YOU BEGAN TO LEARN MAX.
It’s a bit like learning pig-latin, you can get good at the elite sounding code-words all you’d like, at the end you’re still unnecessarily ornamenting a plain language and sounding stupid as fuck while you’re at it.
(oh sorry, bad day Maxing today, Max is ruining my XMas, it’s ok, though, it ruined last year’s and the year’s before that, too, so i’m used to it: hey, shit happens, especially when you’re using Max! somehow… i still choose to use it with verve. That’s right! you heard me, "WITH VERVE!")

(oh man, dark humor really gets lost in translation when you’re communicating in text, eh? ;p )

December 24, 2010 | 11:07 pm

(hahahahahaha, rajadada tumar matha caraf?)

December 25, 2010 | 2:29 pm

i dont understand why you call it inconsistent that sfplay uses "open" for
something else than buffer.

buffer, vst, and patcher have a window, and sfplay does not have a window,
so why not use the "open" message for opening a file?

i find the "plug" message for vst or the inlet order of gate for more weird.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)