Prevent screen from turning white on fullscreen toggle (while video is stopped)

Oct 7, 2011 at 2:07am

Prevent screen from turning white on fullscreen toggle (while video is stopped)

Hi all,

If I have my video paused/stopped, and then I toggle from fullscreen to a smaller window or from a smaller window to fullscreen, upon transition, the frame that was displayed before the toggle is gone and I am left with a blank screen. Is there some attribute that can be set to maybe “refresh” the screen after a toggle?

I am running video with this route:

jit.qt.movie > jit.gl.slab > jit.gl.videoplane > jit.window

I forgot to mention this is a M4L patch, I just never get many responses when posting in that section.

Thanks!
-Michael

Oct 7, 2011 at 10:41pm

why dont you let it stay in full screen ?

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:38pm

Well, I was asking more in hypothetical way where I would need to toggle b/w fullscreen and a window at any point in a videos playback (at a moment when I had it stopped). In actuality, I do not need to be able to do this exactly. However, in my performance, I have another program running on my display that I need visible for like the first 30 seconds of loading a video. After that, I turn on the floating window on that display, and send it a fullscreen message, and upon turning fullscreen, the frame that was displaying previously, is no longer there and I have a blank screen. I was wondering if there is a way to prevent this from happening, by maybe some sort of refresh attribute that needs to be set, or is this just unavoidable?

Oct 9, 2011 at 8:35pm

just send one bang to jit.qt.movie after toggling fullscreen

Oct 14, 2011 at 2:11am

dtr,

Thanks for the reply. I tried sending a bang and I get nothing. I didn’t mention this, but I have qmetro running at all times in my patch, so jit.qt.movie should always be receiving bangs.

I set up a number box to display the current frame and I noticed something interesting. Also, remember that the movie isn’t playing when I toggle b/w fullscreen. But what I noticed is that after a toggle if i send a message “frame #” and I use any frame other than the current frame (that the number box is displaying), that frame will then be displayed. However, when I send the message “frame #”, with the # = current frame, nothing changes, just left with a white screen.

So my work around is that when the jit.window receives a fullscreen on/off message, the patch checks if the movie is playing (because sometimes I do toggle when it is playing), and if not, it will send jit.qt.movie a “frame {current frame # + 1)” message immediately followed by a “frame {current frame #}” message, so that it is on the same frame it was right before it was toggled. Seems unnecessary that I have to do this, but it does work well.

I have it set up to do something similar when the device is loaded because my video doesn’t display then either. (maybe due to the fact that I have jit.qt.movie with the attribute @autostart 0?)

Or maybe i screwed something up else up in my patch. Here it is if anybody is willing to take a look. Sorry that its not the most organized.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.