Forums > MaxMSP

Printing captured images from MAX

December 6, 2006 | 8:32 pm

I have been searching the forum for this question and it has come up but I am no closer to understanding what to do.
I have made a patch that grabs an image from a live video stream using exportimage. this part works where I run into trouble is figuring out how to get a usb printer to automatically print these files. In past posts some have said run an applescript with taptools, or, use Topher Lafata’s mxj syscommand. Having recently upgraded MAX java is new to me, are there any suggestions on where to start, yes I know read the documentation, any other suggestions?
or has anyone figured out another way to send files to the printer via a max command?

I am running MAX 4.5.7 jitter 1.5.2 on a G4 powerbook OS X 10.3.9

erika

December 7, 2006 | 2:12 am

i have never done it but it should be doable with bill Orcutt’s [shell] object.

http://www.publicbeta.cx/max/

here is a reference of the Unix commands you will need :

http://www.ss64.com/osx/

check lpr, lprm, lpstat for printer commands.
good luck, let me know if you figure it out , ill b interested ;)

Quote: furprincess wrote on Wed, 06 December 2006 12:32
—————————————————-
> I have been searching the forum for this question and it has come up but I am no closer to understanding what to do.
> I have made a patch that grabs an image from a live video stream using exportimage. this part works where I run into trouble is figuring out how to get a usb printer to automatically print these files. In past posts some have said run an applescript with taptools, or, use Topher Lafata’s mxj syscommand. Having recently upgraded MAX java is new to me, are there any suggestions on where to start, yes I know read the documentation, any other suggestions?
> or has anyone figured out another way to send files to the printer via a max command?
>
> I am running MAX 4.5.7 jitter 1.5.2 on a G4 powerbook OS X 10.3.9
>
> erika
>
—————————————————-

December 9, 2006 | 2:55 pm

December 15, 2006 | 8:41 pm

I downloaded the shell object from bill’s site. then looked at it and thought I have no f-in clue what the hell this is. then went to the library–the big building with all the books not the one in your Mac, got a book on unix. long story short I got it to work.
the lpr does work I just had to figure out the file paths, then linked a bang trigger that bangs exportimage and the lpr message on the shell object to send the exported image to the printer et le voila.
erika

November 19, 2008 | 1:45 pm

Hello i have a project involving a printer too. But I don’t know how it can work at all. I want to print osc messages into a printer pack by pack. What can I do?
Thank you to reply me

November 27, 2008 | 11:46 pm

Hi When I did this project I was printing screen grabs from a video camera, I am not sure what you are trying to do. can you elaborate?

E

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)