Forums > MaxMSP

Problem filling buffer~ on loading patch

October 24, 2011 | 11:39 pm

When I open my patch it will not let me record material into the buffer unless I have loaded and cleared a sample from the buffer first. I would like to be able to record and edit right after loading the patch.

This is only my second patch so it’s safe to assume I’m just missing some small detail. The patch uses an external from FFtease~, though I’m not sure it’s required since I have the non-effected signal running through as well.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

`

October 25, 2011 | 12:19 am

You haven’t defined an initial buffer size, so it works fine once you ‘replace’ something into the buffer as the buffer now has a size.

I just changed your buffer object to be [buffer~ sample 1000], and you’re good to go.

October 25, 2011 | 1:23 am

Thanks a lot.

Would there be a way to set the buffer size based on the amount of audio recorded, as opposed to using preset values?

October 25, 2011 | 2:45 am

Indeed. That opens a whole can of worms though as you have to decide what functionality you want from the looper.

I have a looper that I built that uses poke/groove and lets you dynamically change the recording time, as well as overdub, and do varispeed stuff (even while recording).

It lets you record up to 30seconds (at full speed) by default, but you can change that to be more (or less) by altering a couple of numbers in there.

If you don’t need overdub or varispeed, you can just use record and groove (or play, or index), and use count (or minmax) to keep track of how long you’ve been recording, then you just tell groove that’s the maximum sample point.

October 25, 2011 | 3:09 am

Wow, that’s really great. I’ll try to pick apart what I need.

Thanks a lot for your help. It’s fun to see someone who I’d read about (the sidrassi tom, really really interesting btw) helping me with my patches.

October 25, 2011 | 3:43 am

Heh no problem.

I’ve gotten a lot of help on the forum, so I try to ‘give back’ as much as I can.

The hardest part I found was deciding exactly what it is you want, the finding the objects that suit that. I switched core objects several times before ending up on poke/groove. It works perfectly for my needs, but different people want different things.

Thanks for the kind words.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)