Forums > Dev

problem loading MXO in Mac OS X

March 4, 2010 | 9:27 am

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to create my first Max external object. Very soon (I hope) the external will read from an Arduino-based haptic glove I’ve built, through a serial port, making the data available to a Max5 patcher.

I’ve followed this tutorial:

http://soundlab.kaist.ac.kr/courses/633/downloads/Writing_MaxMSP_Tutorial_1.pdf

…which gets me to the point of successfully building an MXO. After I place the MXO under the max-exernals directory, I am able to reference it in my patcher. However, I get this error message:

2010-03-03 18:00:22.420 MaxMSP[37128:20b] Attempt to load executable of a type that cannot be dynamically loaded for CFBundle 0x18e4bfb0 (executable, not loaded)

I haven’t been able to figure out what this means. Any idea what I’m doing wrong? I’m running Mac OS X 10.5. My XCode project and source code, which are based on the tutorial, are here:

http://github.com/joshsh/laboratory/tree/master/maxmsp/test/first_max_external/

Thanks for any tips!

March 5, 2010 | 3:28 pm

You probably want to ask this in the Dev forum, more likely to find knowledgeable people there…

March 5, 2010 | 10:50 pm

Thanks. The Dev forum seems like the place to be.

So, anyone seen this before? I’m new to both Max/MSP and Xcode, so it could very well be something simple, but so far I’m stuck.

March 6, 2010 | 12:34 am

I’ve never seen that error exactly, but I can take a guess…You may be compiling for the wrong platform (intel/ppc) – check the project settings for architecture – also get info on the .mxo in the finder to see whether you’ve made a ppc or intel or universal package. If the type is not universal and doesn’t match the machine type I’d say that’s your problem. Otherwise I’d guess one of your other project settings to do with the package type etc. is not right….

A.

March 17, 2010 | 10:19 pm

Thanks for the suggestions! Actually, I think a number of things may be wrong:

1) XCode seems to be confused as to whether I’m building an application or an external object. When I attempt to execute the binary file in Contents/MacOS of a normal mxo bundle, I get an error message. However, when I try to execute mine, I get an additional error message indicating that this library can’t be loaded:
@executable_path/../Frameworks/MaxAPI.framework/Versions/A/MaxAPI
However, only *.app’s seem to have a Frameworks folder, while *.mxo’s do not.

2) I get a warning when I build that the max-includes file has been skipped ("unexpected type ‘folder’ in Frameworks & Libraries build phase").

I’ve fixed the naming issues (thanks, vanille, for pointing that out), so maybe I’m one step closer. An example project sounds really nice, though! Do you suppose that Xcode 3.2 is backwards compatible with your example?

I guess I need to improve my understanding of Xcode in general. I don’t know what I’m doing.

March 18, 2010 | 5:23 am

Alright, I’ve given up on my attempt to follow that tutorial. I’m moving right along now that I’ve turned to the examples and documentation provided with the Max 5 SDK. Thanks again for the feedback.

March 19, 2010 | 1:01 am

Thanks, vanille. Your example doesn’t build on my machine: Xcode complains that "GCC 4.2 is not compatible with the Mac OS X 10.4 SDK". No worries, though. As you say, the Max 5 SDK examples build at the press of a button (I just wasn’t aware of them before). Thanks again.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)