Forums > MaxMSP

Problem Solving (tutorials) in MaxMSP

January 2, 2011 | 11:47 pm

Hello everyone!
I am picking up where I left off with MaxMSP after spending a year or so away (no $$ to renew my expired license). Most of the fundamentals are coming back to me but I’m finding myself forgetting a lot of arguments, objects etc. The tutorials are a little bit too basic for me but I’m not really ready to start working on a full-blown project yet. Does anyone know of any MaxMSP problem solving sets with many short objectives? Something along the lines of, "Make a patch that pulses a random MIDI note in one octave of the piano every 2 seconds." It would be cool if the problems were grouped in objects used and increasing difficulty. I just need some puzzles to solve to get back on my feet!
You guys are the best!
Jason Charney

January 3, 2011 | 12:21 am

A very nice exercice Emmanuel Jourdan gave us when I was a student of his was kind of "make a patch replicating the behaviour of the xxx object". Of course, it won’t work with every object – but for a start you might check (in random order) urn, drunk, zmap, minimum, maximum, clip, metro, onebang, clip, split, listfunnel, flush, midiflush, midiformat, offer, stripnote…

hth
aa

January 3, 2011 | 12:33 am

Google "Peter Bachelor msp"; his youtube tutorials are excellent, and each begins with a similar premise: "let’s make a…..", and you can skip the solution.

@andrea, nice idea "make a patch that replicates object X’s behaviour"

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)