problem with matrix~
I am working on a patch for live sound performance and recording with 8 outs.
1. The sound from one input is getting out on different out although they are not routed so. Also from one input the sound goes to every effect and for the outs.
2. The ramp from the matrix is not working.
Thanks a lot and please tell me what you think
something must be wrong with your routing – i’m not going to go though the whole patch though – there are lots of connections! Dunno why ramping would not work, unless there is a bug with matrix~ when it is that big.
But i have some suggestions for you to make life easier:
1. use presentation mode! this will let you put you patch in logical signal flow order when patching and have it rearranged for the final UI. Patching is much easier.
2. you seem to have a bunch of nearly identical bpatchers that are actually loading different max patches that appear to be the same or very similar. I would simply load a single patch into many bpatchers and take care of any differences with arguments to the bpatcher or messages to inlets of the bpatchers. That way the if you modify what is in the bpatcher, it auto-updates for all of them, and the patch probably loads faster too.
3. unless you are making feedback loops, you can use regular s and r objects instead of send~ and receive~ for sending audio around. send~ and receive~ actually introduce a 1 signal vector (or is it one i/o vector?) delay in the audio stream so you can do feedback systems, so in normal use, you actually don’t want to use them if latency is important. However, you’d have to think about that, because if your patch allows something to be routed back into itself with the matrix~, you probably want to use send~ and receive~ somewhere.
No bug. Your matrix~ needs to be in non-binary mode for it to ramp. Try adding a third argument of 1.
Thanks Jeff, that worked just fine, forgot to give the argument. Always good to have someone else to look at the patch, you always miss lots of things. Any idea what is the problem with the in and out’s question?
Thanks a lot
Sorry, I didn’t look for that problem as I get several error messages when I load the patch and it is a bit difficult to see the signal flow in the patch. I agree with Arvid’s idea of using Presentation mode, that way at the editing level you would not have to fit everything together so closely and it might be easier to see where the problem might be.
Can you explain a bit how to work with the presentation mode, never used and till recently heard of it… Thanks a lot you both for the help.
I think that Max Tutorial 20 (in the Help menu) covers it better than I could in a brief post. It holds just the elements you need to see when running the patch…pretty awesome, I think you will like it.
thanks a lot for the help once again.
any more imput on the patch? hom to make it better?