Forums > MaxMSP

problems building collective

September 3, 2007 | 3:24 pm

hi all,

I’ve been attempting to create either a collective or standalone of a
large patch that I want to run on a second Mac for performing with
another musician.

The patch (which contains a lot of subpatches) works ok on my laptop.
A collective created from the patch works ok if I load it in Max, but
fails miserably if I load it into max Runtime.

I get lots and lots of …

error: (subpatcher name): error -43 opening file
error: (subpatcher name): no such object

The only reference to this I can find in the docs tells me that there
might be a problem with the source file. Hmm. It works ok Max itself,
so what kind of a problem might that be?!

I’m also getting:

umenu (and ubumenu) doesn’t understand "size" "offset" etc etc

I can’t find anything in the refs that points me in the right
direction. Does anyone have any insight on what the problem(s) might
be? Or what I might have to do to get this patch working on a 2nd
machine?

I’ve not done a lot of collective building, so I’m not very au fait
with the kind of thing that can go wrong.

thanks in advance for any advice!

david


September 3, 2007 | 5:20 pm

I’ve just tried this out with a much simpler patch, with fewer
subpatches, and I get the same thing happening – none of the
subpatchers will load properly when I try and run the collective
inside Runtime.

Not only that, but if I try and launch the collective by double
clicking on its icon, Runtime crashes.

This is on a MacBookPro, OSX 10.4.10. Latest max/msp/jitter
download. (I haven’t downloaded any incremental updates)

Is anyone having any success creating and running Collectives?

David

On 3 Sep 2007, at 16:24, David Stevens wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I’ve been attempting to create either a collective or standalone of
> a large patch that I want to run on a second Mac for performing
> with another musician.
>
> The patch (which contains a lot of subpatches) works ok on my
> laptop. A collective created from the patch works ok if I load it
> in Max, but fails miserably if I load it into max Runtime.
>
> I get lots and lots of …
>
> error: (subpatcher name): error -43 opening file
> error: (subpatcher name): no such object
>
> The only reference to this I can find in the docs tells me that
> there might be a problem with the source file. Hmm. It works ok Max
> itself, so what kind of a problem might that be?!
>
> I’m also getting:
>
> umenu (and ubumenu) doesn’t understand "size" "offset" etc etc
>
> I can’t find anything in the refs that points me in the right
> direction. Does anyone have any insight on what the problem(s)
> might be? Or what I might have to do to get this patch working on a
> 2nd machine?
>
> I’ve not done a lot of collective building, so I’m not very au fait
> with the kind of thing that can go wrong.
>
> thanks in advance for any advice!
>
> david


September 3, 2007 | 7:44 pm

On 3 Sep 2007, at 18:20, David Stevens wrote:

> I’ve just tried this out with a much simpler patch, with fewer
> subpatches, and I get the same thing happening – none of the
> subpatchers will load properly when I try and run the collective
> inside Runtime.

No obvious problems here… (MaxMSP 4.6.3/Jitter 1.6.3, MacBook Pro,
10.4.10.)

– N.

Nick Rothwell / Cassiel.com Limited
http://www.cassiel.com
http://www.myspace.com/cassieldotcom
http://www.loadbang.net


September 3, 2007 | 9:09 pm

On 3 Sep 2007, at 20:44, Nick Rothwell wrote:

>
>> I’ve just tried this out with a much simpler patch, with fewer
>> subpatches, and I get the same thing happening – none of the
>> subpatchers will load properly when I try and run the collective
>> inside Runtime.
>
> No obvious problems here… (MaxMSP 4.6.3/Jitter 1.6.3, MacBook
> Pro, 10.4.10.)

I just spent a few hours turning ever lower levels of bpatchers and
subpatchers into Collectives and seeing if they would load ok. In the
end I tracked it down to 2 particular objects and I’m talking to the
objects’ author now to see if we can sort it out.

thanks

David


Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)