Problems rewiring Max to Ableton Live

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:57pm

Problems rewiring Max to Ableton Live

Hello everyone – I’ve seen several posts about problems with interfacing Max and Live. I’m having trouble setting up Max to bus audio to Live (specifying Max as an input device in Live on specific channel strips) I’ve tried opening Live and THEN Max, and vice versa. Neither selecting ad_rewire nor Live as an audio driver works either. The ad_rewire setting WILL show specific ReWire out channels in the audio setup, and my meters are showing output from play~ objects in Max, but no sound is coming out in Live.

I’ve tried it in both Max 6 and Max 5 and neither works. By the way, I’m running Live 8.

Can anyone help?

Mar 7, 2012 at 7:50am

Can’t help, but I can say that I have *never* gotten Rewire between Max and Live to work (though I haven’t tried recently) … one workaround -not as convenient (though its hardly convenient if it doesn’t work, right?) is to try Jack or possibly Soundflower

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:53pm

Glad to know I’m not the only one. Although Max 6 isn’t really working with CoreAudio or any other driver either. Guess I’ll just stick to my copy of 5 for the time being and route it through soundflower.

Mar 10, 2012 at 12:17am

I wouldn’t trust Soundflower with a blunt spoon, in my experience it ruins everything with clicks and pops after a certain amount of time running.

I managed to get sound from Max into Live by sending it to tracks 15 and 16 on my soundcard (MOTU Ultralite mkII), and then setting the inputs to 15 and 16 in Live. I can’t remember how it works, or how I set it up, but I know it is possible. I did this so I can get inputs into Max from the soundcard which rewire doesn’t seem to allow.

Mar 14, 2012 at 3:11pm

Okay so what is the official status on this?

I tried to connect Max6 to Ableton8 and everything
locks up. I am running OSX 10.7.

Is this a known issue? Am I missing something?

Mar 15, 2012 at 4:20am

Anthony –

I finally gave up on ReWire and am now using soundflower to do my inter-application audio routing. It’s been working well. Max 6, but running OSX 10.6.8 (and not sure I’ll upgrade right now, given some of the on-going difficulties I’ve heard about).

brad

http://music.columbia.edu/~brad

Mar 15, 2012 at 2:20pm

Well I could use soundflower. But I would also like to sync
transport control.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.