Forums > MaxMSP

Problems with a nice ADSR for a MONOsynth using Function and sustain..

December 4, 2011 | 11:56 pm

Hi all! I am a newbie to MAX/MSP and am currently in the process of a project for University involving building a monosynth.
I have made the waveforms and made them velocity sensitive to a midi input. I am now trying to implement an ADSR using the "Function" object. I can make the envelope and it kind of works but I want the envelope to trigger a "Release" as plotted in the function window when I let go of the key ( Ie note off message.) I can’t seem to do this. I am having a lot of difficulty. I hope someone can help. Bear in mind i am a total Noob but understand SOME of the pronciples of MAX… I haver downloaded the somewhat messy patch so far for inspection ( you will probably laugh…)
Thanks!
Steve.

December 5, 2011 | 12:28 am

How about using sustain points, as mentioned in the helpfile. Then you can use the message next to go through them.

john.

December 5, 2011 | 9:07 am

Hi John! Thanks for the reply! I have been trying that. The problem is I don’t know how to trigger the "Next" message box so that when I take my finger off the key it triggers the "Next". Because I am controlling Velocity from Xnotein, when I take my finger off the key all sound stops abruptly and I have tried sending a Bang to "Next" with an if message i.e "if $i1==0 then "Bang" else"… but the message isn’t triggered.. ? :[ .
How can I trigger the next without the sound shutting off???

December 5, 2011 | 12:52 pm

Hi Mubase,

I’m a newbie too, so i might have it wrong. But why use Xnotein? I did it like shown in the patch below. It’s a simple solution, but it worked for me.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Hope this will help you.
john.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)