Processing guitar signal

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:09pm

Processing guitar signal

I am having real trouble trying to go get an output sound from my computer when i connect a guitar.
In the audio test patch i can see that there is input, but there is no visual or audible output, and i have have pretty much tried every combination in the DSP menu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i am new to MSP, and its annoying problems like this early on that make this software a nightmare when just starting out.
Thanks Ben.

Apr 2, 2009 at 8:30pm

It could probably save you alot of frustration to go through the tutorials first… this is what’s expected…(particulary, if you got to the MSP Tutorials, you may have answered your own question). Go to the Max ‘Help’ menu and click ‘Max Tutorials’(or, if you’re feeling restless about it and want to charge straight for audio, click ‘MSP Tutorials’)

The audio-test patch will test input separately from output. The only time you will see output in the test patch is if you choose tone or noise from the ‘source’ menu(it’s not used to send input to output but more like a professional studio speaker-test).

Just in case it helps you get started, here’s a patch which will send your input straight to the output:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

oh, and just so you understand why Max can be complex at first, it is because Max makes so many options available to users that it can be overwhelming. not all users will need audio, not all will need accurate clocks, but everyone must learn the basics first in order to know what the best situation in which to use each functionality.

Here’s an example of work in Max(download the patch on the first post in that thread and play with it, soooo much fun!) that not everyone would think of using Max for. It’s a good example of why the complexity of Max adds to its flexibility and extendability:
http://www.cycling74.com/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=151899

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:24pm

thank you so much!!! I guess i was a little quick to skip over the help menu. sound quality is really bad but guess thats to do with the fact im going from guitar to normal amp to computer to serio system.
Once again thanks for the help and any other advice on getting a nice clean connection would be greatly appreciated however im sure the info i need is in the help files.
Ben.

Apr 3, 2009 at 9:35pm

No problem. Glad to help. As for sound, this is often a problem with computer hardware, your best bet is to save-up(it’s worth it) for an external firewire(or USB) audio I/O. I use the MOTU Ultralite (I’ve also used a MOTU828(old) and a Digi002; i recommmend the Ultralite in terms of firewire(Digi002 is great particularly if you own ProTools but after mine broke from just 2 years of use, I’m never going back to Digidesign hardware again(unless they buy out MOTU or something… they’re like Google and buying out everyone these days, yikes!)). If you want something far less expensive there are also USB I/Os out there. It’s always easier to isolate your recording hardware(the audio I/O) from your machine’s noise this way and the built-in audio on your computer is never grounded as well as you need it to be(plus there’s always the fan-and-spinning-hard-drive-noises).

Best of luck!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.