Forums > Misc

Projects: why does the same one appear over and over?

August 12, 2010 | 6:25 pm

For the past 3-4 days, I’ve seen Project 89 Wiiano in the project section. Not a bad project, but simple enough to get it after reading it just once. Many other days, it rotates every day(i see a different project everyday). Was just wondering what’s going on? Why is it stuck on the same project recently?

How does the algorithm for featuring projects work, is it non-recurring random, or does it repeat projects even before going through all of them thus certain random people will just gain more exposure than the rest?

EDIT: is this also the only solution/replacement we have for the user share pages? Those share pages were soooooo much more valuable… I really hope Cycling figures out something else besides projects to substitute those share pages. I feel a bit like the creators of max/msp/jitter are becoming much less affiliated with its user-base by having projects as opposed to share pages. Projects don’t allow you to upload your useful tools for everyone else unless you have it hosted on webspace elsewhere. Projects are not arranged in any logical way beyond the numbering of projects so it’s not really conducive to finding something specific but rather just a round about way of seeing what esoteric projects people are doing(nice as they are).

August 12, 2010 | 6:50 pm

We are working on something that will hopefully be much better than the old Share pages. In the meantime, here is the old Share page:

http://www.cycling74.com/share.html

-Ben

August 12, 2010 | 7:51 pm

ah, ok, i thought the projects were a substitute for the share-pages(i know of the old ones still up, but am talking more about the usefulness of the system/mechanism of those old share pages), but if you are still working on something better than share pages, i retract everything and eagerly await the new sharing mechanism… whatever it may be…

thanks!

August 12, 2010 | 9:13 pm

FWIW, our "algorithm" for featuring projects is someone editing the tags of the project in our CMS. The person who typically does that is currently on vacation for the week, so it isn’t happening as often. I’m impressed that you noticed, in fact, as it was changed on tuesday. The C74 logo images, on the other hand, are randomly chosen.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)