punch-in with detonate?

May 27, 2007 at 9:25pm

punch-in with detonate?

Hello,

I was wondering if it is possible to instruct the detonate object to “punch in” to a loaded MIDI file, thereby starting on an event in the middle of the file, specified by note number, and then continue onwards from there?

Based on my experimentation, I have determined that the “nth” command can call an event in the file by its note number, and output the parameters of that note, but for some reason it seems to jump back to the beginning of the file upon receiving a subsequent “next” command rather than continuing onwards from the nth note. I am not sure why this is.

There is also the “startat” command, but I find it is not very useful because it uses event parameter arguments rather than a note number argument, which means that if the file contains more than one note with those parameters, it will just go to the first one it finds chronologically.

My workaround is to pre-process the MIDI file I am importing by chopping off everything before the point where I want to start working with the file, but it is frustrating if I want to work starting from many different places, I wind up with a library of MIDI files as big as there are measures in the file!

I was just hoping to either find a better workaround, and to verify that this is indeed an existing limitation for the detonate object.

I would be very pleasantly surprised if someone explained how this was actually not the case!

Thanks,

KC

May 27, 2007 at 9:28pm

sorry, double thread creation! – my first one said it had an error, so I was surprised to find it actually got posted after posting the second one!

if there was an edit or delete option for the user who created the thread, I would gladly remedy the problem!

May 30, 2007 at 9:09pm

Hello again,

Just hoping that someone who might be able to quickly verify this has not had the chance to read the post yet.

Thanks,

KC

May 30, 2007 at 9:10pm

Hello again,

Just hoping someone who might be able to quickly verfiy this has not had the chance to read the post yet.

Thanks,

KC

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.