Forums > Jitter

Purchasing

January 29, 2008 | 9:04 pm

This may be a stupid question, but I looked all over the FAQ and forums and couldn’t find an answer. I’m buying the max/msp/jitter bundle with the knowledge that I will be getting a new computer in about a year. my question is this: how easy is it to transfer the license to/reinstall everything on a new computer? do you have to de-authorize the old computer somehow, or take some other steps to ensure you can use the same license? Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

-Anna

January 29, 2008 | 9:29 pm

As far as I know, you can have a license on a few computers, and you
can move them around. Just let cycling know.

Keith

January 29, 2008 | 10:27 pm

On 29 janv. 08, at 22:29, keith manlove wrote:

> As far as I know, you can have a license on a few computers, and you
> can move them around. Just let cycling know.

Another solution is also to use an iLok. I found it really convenient
to be certain that no matter where I am, I can be sure that I can have
a proper authorized version of MaxMSP & co. Plus it works the same way
on Mac and on Windows (thank god, I don’t have to use it on windows
too much…).

Cheers,
ej

January 30, 2008 | 12:18 am

Thanks, that helps a lot. I might look into that.
Keith–were you at this year’s electroacoustic juke joint? You may know one of my professors (herriott), and Eric Sheffield, who assisted you on one of your pieces.

January 30, 2008 | 3:47 am

I love my ilok. Except when it breaks. I had the ilok stop working once, but luckily it was still under warranty and was replaced fairly quickly (a few days from the moment i sent it in, to when I got my new one). Not good news if you need it right away, but they have an "insurance" option that will replace your licence asap (but you need a 2nd working ilok to get the temp licenses).

Overall, I love being able to run Max on ANY computer I want, Win or OSX. I recommend it, especially if you switch between a laptop and a workstation or between OS’s or plan on cross platform development with Max.

I hate dongles, but at least an ilok can eliminate multiple dongles (Max and some protools plugs on my ilok).

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)