QT7.2 Inserts!

Jul 18, 2007 at 9:29pm

QT7.2 Inserts!

So in talking with some of the Apple developers they told me that QT7.2 has introduced something new for programmers called inserts. It allows you to pull the audio from a QT source, then send it back to it.

I wanted to post here to see if anyone had looked into this even from an outside view (not a C74 developer). I think putting this ability into Jitter would give us back the spigot~ feature persay AND allow us to maybe call something bucket~ that sends the audio back to QT :) Haha.

But in seriousness, has there been any discussion on this, or any comments as to when or if it would be used in Jitter? This has me very excited.

Thanks,
Rick

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:07pm

Is a bucket~ really the opposite of a spigot~? I could imagine
inject~ or funnel~. Or insert~.

jb

Am 18.07.2007 um 23:29 schrieb Rick Burnett:

> spigot~ feature persay AND allow us to maybe call something bucket~

Jul 18, 2007 at 10:44pm

Haha, well, I thought for a bit on it and couldn’t really think of a great ‘other’ end for it. I’d probably call it insert.send and insert.receive personally, because I like to be descriptive :)

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:10pm

That is actually rather exciting. Id love to see some developments in
Jitter 2.0 on this front.

On Jul 18, 2007, at 5:29 PM, Rick Burnett wrote:

>
> So in talking with some of the Apple developers they told me that
> QT7.2 has introduced something new for programmers called inserts.
> It allows you to pull the audio from a QT source, then send it back
> to it.
>
> I wanted to post here to see if anyone had looked into this even
> from an outside view (not a C74 developer). I think putting this
> ability into Jitter would give us back the spigot~ feature persay
> AND allow us to maybe call something bucket~ that sends the audio
> back to QT :) Haha.
>
> But in seriousness, has there been any discussion on this, or any
> comments as to when or if it would be used in Jitter? This has me
> very excited.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick

v a d e //

http://www.vade.info
abstrakt.vade.info

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:22pm

I’d love to see some documentation of this QT 7.2 feature.
I can’t seem to find anything in the Apple developer docs.

AB

Jul 18, 2007 at 11:42pm

I am working on getting that at the moment from the developer who pointed me to it. His initial response was that it was listed in the ‘What’s new with QT7.2″ although I am sure that is some sort of coders what’s new :)

Jul 19, 2007 at 11:11am

Before investing in more spigot~-ish features I would personally prefer more support for importing qt sound data into msp (i.e. buffer~ support to add content without losing existent material, support for importing multiple tracks, loading sound data in a separate thread so it won’t interrupt execution of the low priority queue, stuff like that).

For me, spigot~ doesn’t represent a real link between jitter and msp. I have to be able to manipulate the data sample-accurately before I can say the data is really available in msp.

Mattijs

Jul 19, 2007 at 8:17pm

The 7.2SDK will not be available until Leopard ships, as I have confirmed with Apple. I am not sure if the early adopter development kits have any of this in there, but this contact said he’d post links to the relevant information as soon as it was available. I opted out of the early Leopard kit this time (cause it’s pricey). Even thought I am DYING to know what they added for CoreAudio.

In any case, as this information becomes available, I will forward it on to C74. Thought, I imagine, they already know. Regardless, while this does not solve my problem now, it’s still GREAT news for the future to have this ability.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.