Forums > MaxMSP

quantized note-offs to vst~ are sometimes skipped can't figure out how to fix this

nit
May 16, 2009 | 4:33 pm

so i’ve got this problem in a subpatch of my main patch wich i use to preform. i’m working on it for two days now but i can’t figure out how to fix this.
the problem is the following: sometimes the patch skips a note-off. this is only when i trigger all the notes in the different subpatches very chaoticly but that’s needed for some of my pieces. i need the note offs really bad because some of my battery files contain samples wich are set to loop until key release. so sometimes when i go bazurk on triggering fast short bits of looped samples one sample keeps on looping wich is really a pain in my ass.
i’ll try to explain the patch i attached.
the problem is probably in the subpatch called ‘note-triggering’. the main patch is pretty mutch the same except that there are 16 of these subpatches for sixteen different noites and their midi controllers. but they are all attached in the same way, the on metronome bangs into the one inlet of the subpatches and the outlet of the subpatches send the midimessages to the one plugin (battery3 in my case).
i think the problem is caused somewere in the quantization technique i used but maybe i overlook something.
i already tried togglin overdrive on or off but this doesn’t help. (i’m on max5.0.7 and i use an akai mpd24/32 for triggering)

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

May 16, 2009 | 6:33 pm

Your patch looks clean to me. I can’t come up with a scenario where the quantization would cause a stuck note. Have you tried removing the [onebang]s and testing the patch?

Is it possible that the noteoff messages are getting dropped due to a high volume of MIDI traffic? Have you tried dropping your raw MIDI input into a [coll] or [seq] so you can look at it/replay it later?

I remember living with the bugaboo of stuck notes back in the days when I performed with a Powerbook 180. All my old patches have a panic button connected to an "all notes off" message. Not as good as preventing the problem, but it worked when needed.

nit
May 16, 2009 | 10:31 pm

i’ll try dropping raw midi input into a [coll] or [seq] object but what exactly will that bring me? i don’t understand what you mean by looking at it or playing it later. (probably my bad english.)

May 17, 2009 | 5:31 am

maybe the flush or borax objects can help

nit
May 17, 2009 | 3:29 pm

@holland: i can see what you mean now with looking @ it or replaying it but do you have an idea how this would solve my problem? the problem is probably to much midi traffic but i’m not that good of a programmer. do you now a solution how i could control the miditraffic so nothing gets skipped? mybe with one of these objects.

maybe i need to tell that the metro in my original patch is remotely recieved from a metro in the main patch (were this subpatch sits in). the metro in the main patch sends it’s bangs to other receives in the patch too. i don’t see why that could be a problem but maybe there’s something i don’t know.

May 17, 2009 | 9:25 pm

Bradford’s suggestions of [flush] and [borax] are good places to start. You might also find Eric Singer’s GlitchFilter abstraction useful for thinning out spurious notes. I think Darwin Grosse’s ddg.mono object also has some note handling features, but it’s been a while since I looked at it.

nit
May 18, 2009 | 9:55 am

i’ve figured a way out. the velocity of the note is send to the right inlet of an [i] object. this object gets banged every quantize bang. the outlet of that [i] object got attached to a [sel 0] object. so every time there is a quantize bang it checks if the velocity is 0. if it sends a bang to the note off message. so if there is a note of skipped the next quantize bang will cause a note off.
but here’s my question:
now the [vst~] object gets a note off from sixteen notes every quantize bang if they are not triggered. can this cause any problems? especialy when i use a 10ms metro to quantize (to not quantize actually). or is a note off ignored when there’s already received one?

solution patch:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

nit
May 28, 2009 | 8:10 pm

i’m getting mad!
the solution i found on the problem listed above is causing the problem some not-ons get skipped now. i’ve spended all last night to fix it but again i can’t find the problem.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)