Forums > MaxMSP

quantizing bangs.

August 12, 2011 | 11:16 am

can i send a bang, or a number, or a message, but have it actually execute on the next available beat? say 1n or something? i’ve looked into a bit on certain patches that use quantization, mainly midi related, but wondered if there was a simple way to do it with with basic commands…

thanks
ned
:)

August 12, 2011 | 11:58 am

You can use [delay] as a way of quantizing bangs I think. But there would be better ways too
T

MIB
August 12, 2011 | 1:00 pm

try this, maybe it will help…

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

August 12, 2011 | 1:33 pm

thanks for that, but really i only want to send a bang once quantized to a beat, rather than repetitively as it does here, or at least that what i think its going on. really i want to bang a number once but do it on the next down beat, or to a value of 1n etc… any thoughts?

thanks
ned
:)

August 12, 2011 | 1:48 pm

See the timepoint object.

August 12, 2011 | 1:55 pm

brilliant!

August 12, 2011 | 3:31 pm

Have you checked out the onebang object?

August 12, 2011 | 6:43 pm

BTW, don’t discount Terry’s suggestion about the delay object. "delay 0.0.0 @quantize 1n" will do what you asked for.

August 12, 2011 | 8:26 pm

timepoint is cool and is news to me. thanks for the tip!

some other ideas:

August 13, 2011 | 2:58 am

I can’t see what other ideas were just suggested (I’m writing from an iPad) but I’m wondering why one couldn’t just combine a gate with an = operator fed directly from the beat of that transport object such that whenever the beat is "1", the gate would let a bang through.

Did I miss something ?

August 13, 2011 | 2:34 pm

That would let a bang through any time it occurs during the whole first beat of a measure, rather than holding it and synchronizing it exactly on the instant of the first beat, as I think the original poster specified.

August 13, 2011 | 4:01 pm

I didn’t realize that the transport didn’t actually send values out unless you explicitly requested them.

However, here’s a cleaner version that just uses route and sends a bang only each time the beat is ’1′ and only the first time it becomes ’1′

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)