Forums > Jitter

Quartz Composer, Flash in Jitter?

May 24, 2008 | 9:52 pm

Hey guys,
Does snyone know if cycling74 has discussed plans for implementing flash or Quartz composer into Jitter. Flash has apparently stopped working as quicktime has stopped supporting the swf format. Quartz composer files play in quicktime, but need addition framework in Jitter to accept variables. In this way, they are nothing more than video clips that render faster.

I guess I’m just trying to find a way to do live INTERACTIVE animations in jitter, rather than manipulate video files. Such exciting things are being done in the VJ world with these two formats, that it is a shame that Cycling74 has done little to support them. How f-ing sweet would it be to sync live-rendered vector animations up to audio!?

May 28, 2008 | 4:39 am

Something I haven’t gotten around to trying would be a combination of flashserver and jweb with screen capture. Apparently Flashserver isn’t even all that necessary anymore thanks to the mxj net.tcp object.

A little custom actionscript, you could possibly have interactive flash in Max.

May 28, 2008 | 8:46 am

May 29, 2008 | 4:15 am

Awesome, that looks like it could work. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

June 2, 2008 | 5:22 am

You could also try the OSC patches included in Quartz Composer.
.xX

June 6, 2008 | 11:04 am

DIPS3 ?
DIPS3 version 2 for Max/MSP4.6 (MacOSX)

http://dips.dacreation.com/

The DIPS, "Digital Image processing with Sound", is the set of Max
objects that handles the real-time visual image processing events and
the OpenGL functions in the Max/MSP GUI programming environment. It
enables the interaction between audio events and visual events in the
Max patch, thus strongly supports composers and artists to realize the
real-time interactive multimedia art.

Implements Apple’s Core Image and Quartz Composer technology as well
as utilizing OpenGL programming environment including Shading Language
(GLSL)

oups, it’s not in maxobjects.com … some should definitely add it,…

Mathieu

http://mathieuchamagne.com

http://www.maxobjects.com

June 16, 2008 | 5:16 am

Hi.

I just finished a plugin that works the other way around, from other apps to QC, however, I gave the source to Barry Threw, so hopefully he will be able to port the GL screen capture object to Jitter.

June 17, 2008 | 2:27 pm

Wow. Will you please let me know when this is available?

June 19, 2008 | 10:13 pm

I just released the QC plugin and the source. I hope someone can make this into a Jitter 1.7 external, with my blessing…

http://002.vade.info/

June 20, 2008 | 1:14 pm

This is very cool. Still trying to wrap my head around the implications, but this could actually make QC usable as a VJ app.

June 20, 2008 | 5:09 pm

Not even going to go there, but im glad you like it. ;)

July 1, 2008 | 2:22 am

For those interested in flash…

this may be an answer

http://createdigitalmotion.com/2008/06/29/add-mac-quicktime-support-for-flv-perian/

July 1, 2008 | 5:16 pm

It’s coming…slowly…

I’m swamped right now, hopefully a week.

bt

On Jun 15, 2008, at 10:16 PM, vade wrote:

>
> Hi.
>
> I just finished a plugin that works the other way around, from other
> apps to QC, however, I gave the source to Barry Threw, so hopefully
> he will be able to port the GL screen capture object to Jitter.

July 2, 2008 | 6:25 pm

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows why Quartz composer files loaded in a jit.qt.movie seem to be just a little stutter-y.

I have a patch that with a jit.qt.movie object which i have a read button attached to.

If I select a 30fps quicktime movie, it plays back perfectly smoothly both to a pwindow or to a videoplane out thru open gl.

If I select a QC file or a Quicktime movie that contains that QC file (created via export from within QC) it plays fine.. but just not quite as smoothly as it does using QC or the quicktime player for playback.

I can send a patch if this sounds puzzling – but is there something more obvious and specific (an attribute or etc) that I need to set to ensure smoothest playback of a QC file using Jitter?

Again, this simple patch works perfectly with any QT video file.. it just gets sliiiightly less smooth when I read in a QC file. AND the same QC file plays perfectly smoothly in the QT player.

THANKS!

July 2, 2008 | 11:56 pm

from my limited knowledge of the internal workings of jit.qt.movie, I understand this to be because the QC patch is playing back in a software opengl context, not in a hardware openGl context. Thus, stutteryness, since its outputting a matrix, not to a window.

Try direct to window, and see if the stutter goes away, I bet it does.

(please note, I have no idea if the above is factually true, but it kind of makes sense) :)

July 23, 2008 | 12:06 pm

in learning phase at the moment:

why would you want to import qc files into jitter when MAX appears to be able to route midi data into QC?

surely use MAX to control both jitter and qc at the same time and mix the video outs from both to create the set?

July 23, 2008 | 1:42 pm

Hey,

Good point, but that would require an external mixer for my rig, no?

I’m keeping the entire rig within my laptop for the moment, so I want to have all video coming from one app – otherwise I need to sometimes have a video out coming from QC and sometimes coming from Max/Jitter. That complicates things.

If it’s all within Jitter, I can run 2 outputs from one machine, and have access to any type of "content" within one app : QT, QC, Live Cam – just switch "sources" from within one app driving two outs.

(Did that make sense?) – lol – Or maybe I’m looking at this all wrong.

July 23, 2008 | 6:14 pm

Also,
Having a QC movie routed into a jitter matrix allows you to apply all kinds of cool matrix based effects and jitter shaders on the QC movie. Since I’m a lot more proficient w/ jitter than QC (and because QC lacks a lot of the features of Jitter), this is desirable.

July 24, 2008 | 2:31 am

Quote: vade wrote on Mon, 30 June 2008 19:22
—————————————————-
> For those interested in flash…
>
> this may be an answer
>
> http://createdigitalmotion.com/2008/06/29/add-mac-quicktime-support-for-flv-perian/
>
>
—————————————————-

I think that .swf is the problem, and perian doesn’t help.

mz

July 24, 2008 | 9:40 pm

valqed – did you try vade’s suggestion of direct to window re jit.qt.movie? i’m interested to know how you got on.

[off topic] but how are you driving two video outs from your laptop?

October 19, 2008 | 4:29 pm

> [off topic] but how are you driving two video outs from your laptop?

Matrox DualHead2Go or TripleHead2Go (both available in analog or
digital)

JS

On 24-Jul-08, at 5:40 PM, strontiumDog wrote:

>
> valqed – did you try vade’s suggestion of direct to window re
> jit.qt.movie? i’m interested to know how you got on.
>
> [off topic] but how are you driving two video outs from your laptop?
>
>

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)