Forums > Jitter

Question about multiple monitors

March 21, 2009 | 7:08 am

I’m working on a project that will be a grid of 3×3 monitors. In other words, 9 monitors. Each monitor needs to be able to show independent content, but usually nothing fancy, just changing background color or displaying a jpeg. Ideally I’d like to be able to play a movie across all 9 monitors from time to time.

Is this the sort of thing Jitter can handle?

If so, would I make one big canvas and break it into parts, or 9 different canvases?

Thanks for any help.

March 21, 2009 | 6:03 pm

hmmm, someone can correct me if i’m wrong, but sounds like a job for two networked computers.

i can see possibly 8 monitors from one computer. two cards, two outputs on each card, two triple-head-to go’s. 9 would be pushing it, but maybe it’s possible.

you would create a rendering context per card and i don’t think you can share resources across cards.

really need more information (hardware setup particularly) to be of much help, but yes jitter could handle this.

March 22, 2009 | 3:26 am

Yes, this is possible.

We’re using a Mac Pro (dual quad-core) to drive 8 projectors at 1024×768 + 1 control monitor.

There are three graphic cards in the system. The two "powerful" cards are each connected to a TripleHead2Go unit, and the weaker card drives the control monitor, and a TripleHead2Go in dual-head mode.

I am reading a single large movie file, and using jit.scissors to split it. Would have liked to have used OpenGL, but our movie is bigger than the max supported OpenGL texture size, I think.

March 22, 2009 | 6:48 am

that’s pretty awesome to hear. what kind of fps do you get? and what are the cards you are using?

MJ
March 23, 2009 | 8:09 am

and here im working on a project with 7 ouputs/projectors and a workscreen
using a 2008macpro and 4 videocards (ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT)
in opengl using shared_context at 25 fps…

you can share resoources between two outputs on the same gpu
so in my case i use 4 gpu’s and i have the make the textures just 4 times and share it 3 times (4+3=7)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)