Question about user driven community

Dec 25, 2009 at 9:25pm

Question about user driven community

I know of the user example patches on this website but does anyone know of a user community similar to the Processing community (http://www.openprocessing.org/) for users to learn from?

thx

Dec 25, 2009 at 11:51pm

there is maxobjects.com

although not like the one mentioned, it still houses loads of cool things max.
it is more centred around objects and a few patches. kind of like a community that does not talk to each other. :)

it would be cool if there is a proper community like the openprocessing one. there may be, but we may not know of it yet

Dec 27, 2009 at 4:06pm

do you know if there are any plans to create such functionality within the cycling74 site?

Dec 28, 2009 at 5:55pm

Hi rjmaximus,

Thanks for pointing out http://openprocessing.org !

Tell me, what about that site do you find most valuable? What is the most valuable activity that it supports?

Dec 29, 2009 at 10:17pm

I really enjoy alot of things about about the openprocessing.org site:

1. I like the “featured sketches” shown on the main homepage.

2. I like seeing a user profile with designs submitted by processing users. I can envision a max/msp/jitter “user profile” where other users can share and learn from work done by others. As it is now, only “featured” works and the “projects” pages are shown on the cycling74 site and most of the time they are more advanced topics (I’m not saying to remove this feature. Definitely keep this, it’s inspirational). But consider that with a user driven community, it allows newbies and seasoned veterans the “open source” type sharing of work to promote growth of ideas.

3. When looking at a users code in processing you can actually see the code. I can envision a “view” for max/msp patches so you can see or hear what the users patch is suppose to do within the browser window. This might be a bit harder to do since typically we just download patches and try to run them rather than “run” them in a browser window like java. Here maybe the user could just submit a screenshot of their patch, a short audio/video sample (optional), and a description of what the patch does and what the user needs to know to understand it.

4. They promote communication between users directly.

5. They have “classrooms” and “collections”. This is a neat model that I could see the cycling74 site benefit from. It would allow for this site to group and organize the user patches in a better way.
Right now, the forum has the pages broken out by product, which is great, but it still leaves the user combing through forum posts to find a simple model of something simple that has most likely been completed by another user.

6. Is some of this the idea behind the “Share Pages” under the Community page (http://cycling74.com/community/)?

Overall I would say that the most valuable activity that the openprocessing.org site supports is the “openness” of sharing ideas and “sketches” among users.

Dec 30, 2009 at 2:14am

I would like a simple share space linked to user Profile. Users could ask to enable the “share space” function, could upload themselves patches/zip files, and should follow rules about acceptable content. Patches could be tagged, and we could browse the patches either from the user profiles, or more generally from a global “share space” database interface.
I’m not sure cycling74 wants to implement a simple thing like that, or will be more ambitious, what could explain why the old share pages disappeared.

Dec 31, 2009 at 5:08pm

Thanks for the great feedback guys. I agree that there’s a lot that openprocessing.org does very well. The old share pages – or something a lot like them – are going to reappear shortly while we work on our more ambitious solution.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.