Forums > MaxMSP

Question About Vector Synth Style Joystick

December 12, 2012 | 9:22 pm

Hello,

I would like to create a vector synthesis style joystick using the [pictslider] object. Essentially I would like 4 values to comes out. One for each of the 4 corners of the [pictslider]. If the [pictslider] is centered then I would like all 4 values to output 0.25. As I move to any corner I would like to increase it’s corresponding value while reducing the 3 other values. When the [pictslider] is completely in one corner the corresponding value should be 1. and the three other values, corresponding to the other corners, should be 0. Essentially I would like to output a constant average of 1. – They way I do it now is not right.

I poked around for a half an hour or so but I seem to be just getting tongue tied with the numbers. If anybody could help I would greatly appreciate it.

December 13, 2012 | 1:47 am

This is a quad-fader that I made for a class project a while back. It worked close enough for my purposes, but it sometimes it outputs a few hundredths more or less than 1.

I’m interested in how others might make this more exact.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

-Aaron

December 13, 2012 | 1:51 am

I found an old post on the SynthEdit forum that gave the formula – thanks to Dave Haupt.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

EDIT: Thanks Aaron I was posting at the same time and missed your post. Your method looks cheaper than the one I found – it doesn’t use as many expr objects. Good to have a choice – thanks.

December 13, 2012 | 2:08 am

That formula gives me the same slight deviations from 1. Now I’m curious as to how I can make this thing spit out a consistent "1."

Wishing I was better at math.

-Aaron

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)