Forums > MaxMSP

questions about 'coll' and 'note out'

Ali
April 3, 2011 | 6:23 pm

Hi there, attatched is a copy of my patch

- its a simple Cellular Automata game where the ‘live’ cells (white) produce a MIDI note depending on how many are ‘alive’ at the time

I want to STORE lots of patterns into my coll object but can’t seem to work it out.

I’ve tried using the inspector tool to make a new menu entry for the adjoining drop down menu and then to create a new index and specify the ON co-ordinates in the list (if you double click the coll object)

I don’t understand why this wont update the list?

————
My second question is basically how do I have a volume fader set up for the output of the midi note out(s) – I just want to make a simple mixer with faders but cantt seem to wrok it out when its involving MIDI (for audio its simple but MIDI is confusing me)

Any help/advice is very much appreciated

(there are 4 other instruments I am working on but this is the most simple so whatever I learn from this forum post I can put into action for the other 4 instruments)

thanks for you time
Ali

April 3, 2011 | 6:49 pm

volume is CC#007, and its creation using midiformat does not differ from the creation of notes.

April 4, 2011 | 8:33 am

Here’s your patch with volume controls added. You’ll have to be more specific about what you want to do with storing coll data. The manual method works for me.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Ali
April 4, 2011 | 1:38 pm

Thanks for your help and advice Roman and Chris. I sorted the ‘coll’ problem by just sending a message that says ‘insert 4 15 15 16 15 17 15 etc (where 4 is the index value in the list and the other numbers just specify the on co-ordinates) – - -

so thats the coll problem sorted. :)

@ Chris…..
the addition you have made to my patch is exactly the conrol I wanted to have, thank you very much!

One final question. If I want to save the MIDI output as a sound file on the hard disk how do I go about connecting MIDI to a dac? Or is it the case that ‘noteout’ is the same thing but for MIDI (noteout has no outlets). At present I can record what Im doing but it just records the output from my laptop spekaer which is pretty rubbish and quiet

thanks for our help again guys, if I can get this last question answered I be up and running

Ali

April 4, 2011 | 6:27 pm

If you are using the built in operating system synthesizer, which it seems like you are, it is sort of tricky. The problem arises because once Max sends out MIDI to the OS, the rest of the synthesis happens outside of Max. You need some way to loop the output back into Max. Soundflower or Jack on the Max would do the trick.

Another approach is to build your synth in Max, or use a vst synth plugin. In both these cases, the synthesis happens inside of Max, so it can have access to the audio stream which allows for easy recording.

Ali
April 5, 2011 | 3:48 pm

Cheers Chris, ive modifed it a little so it now has a signal coming out and can be recorded. Thanks for your help guys

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)