Questions re. building a looping sampler

Oct 8, 2012 at 4:02am

Questions re. building a looping sampler

Hello,

I’m currently undertaking my first Max project, and that is to replicate a project I designed and had programmed for the web (pascalbabare.com/rehearingsuburbia). The idea is to make the same project but with some extra functionality.

So I’ve gotten as far as replicating the site visually and functionally, and now I’m experimenting with changing it up. The main thing I want to do is to be able to switch between an a-rhythmic looping function to a set tempo looping function within the patcher.

So the a-rhythmic function uses sfplays to loop the samples according to their individual lengths — I already have this built and working — and the set tempo looper would be a sampler with a master tempo that repeats after however many set seconds, and each sample triggered within that time cycle keeps re-triggering at the same point each repetition until the sample is de-activated.

I’ve been experimenting with groove, but I can’t seem to get it to do what I want it to. All the tutorials and vids I’ve found focus on recorded looping, but I want to be able to pull out samples individually and add in more, so it can’t be recording it – it needs to be triggering and deactivating them live. I’m feeling like I’m headed into some deep waters for my skill level…

Any suggestions on objects to look at or ways to tackle this? I’ve been searching the forums and tutorials for a while now, and can’t seem to find much on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
p.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:17am

Groove~ is the way to go, have a look at the quantize attribute, specially with notevalues, which implies the use of the transport object. If I get what you mean, you want a pred-defined st of samples being triggerable at will ? If so, do you want the master tempo to be changed also ?

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:49am

Yeah exactly, so I have a set of predefined samples and want them to be triggerable at will, and then to be looped at a master tempo, which yes, preferably I would want to be able to change. And I don’t want the samples to be triggered within a tempo-defined grid, but triggered and looped at exactly the point they are clicked by the user. Does that make sense? So not quantized to a tempo, but cycling in a time-defined loop (each sample selected would trigger once within each master loop cycle, at the point it was first selected).

Thanks for that, I’ll focus on groove – so each sample (there’s 27) would have their own groove object, and then what would control the master tempo? Or would I control all their groove tempo’s simultaneously?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.