Forums > Jitter

quicker loading with jit.qt.movie

June 1, 2009 | 8:45 pm

Hi all,

I’ve got three jit.qt.movie objects playing movies at the same time. When I read a new movie or image into one of them, a slight but noticeable pause occurs on the other two. Does anyone have any methods of decreasing this pause? Patcher below.

Thanks,
Chris

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

June 2, 2009 | 4:01 pm

you can try the "asyncread" message instead of read, or possibly better solution is to read all your files into separate jit.qt.movies at load time (possibly managing with a poly~ object), and switching between these different instances when you want to change the movie.

June 2, 2009 | 5:13 pm

Thanks for the reply. I’ve actually tried asyncread but it seems to be unstable. I don’t really understand your second option, could you explain a little further?

Many thanks,
Chris

robtherich wrote on Tue, 02 June 2009 10:01
you can try the "asyncread" message instead of read, or possibly better solution is to read all your files into separate jit.qt.movies at load time (possibly managing with a poly~ object), and switching between these different instances when you want to change the movie.

June 4, 2009 | 7:04 am

There is not a way to load files on the fly without a freeze. There are a variety of workarounds, all of which amount to loading all the files at once and switching between already loaded files. The various poly for movies solutions create an even bigger initial pause, as all the movies load. If you have a finite set of movies, then this sort of thing works. If you want to load whatever you want, whenever you want… you get the pause. You will find that the amount of pause can be reduced by fast-seeking hardware. So, if you had your movies on a solid-state drive, striped raid or held in ram, it might not be noticeable.
The only way to really get around it might be to pipe in video from something that can read movies without pausing. I haven’t figured that out. Seeing how Jitter freezes up on windows when you switch windows, it would make sense to have an interface for file loading in max/jitter, but then have your movie playback "engine" external. Again, I haven’t really got this figured out yet, since I’d need to send video out of the engine program into jitter at a high framerate.

June 11, 2009 | 7:24 pm

I think this is a general OS problem – not just a jitter problem …

When I had to solve that for the Evolving Oblique project I put all the QT movies into a bigger QT container (QT is just a container format pretty much … the outer container only holds references to the movies – so it did not take up too much space .. ) and that in combination with decompressing buffers worked great – there was no more visible pause/gap …

I used a coll and the looppoint-feature of the jit.qt.movie to get to the different movie sequences …

worked quite well ….

hope that helps

best

Jan
June 26, 2009 | 5:00 pm

hello steff3,

i just found your post – struggling with the same problem of having a too long gap at loading the qt into jit.qt.movie.
Could you describe how you wrapped the single clips into a QT-Wrapper?

Best

Jan

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)