Forums > Jitter

Quicktime Playback Optimization – some example patches

November 29, 2007 | 8:06 pm

Hi.

Tired of seeing the same questions on the list, I put together 12
patches that show better and better techniques for single and dual
channel quicktime playback. These patches are aimed more at beginner
and intermediate users looking for quicktime movie playback.

I hope people find these interesting. There is also a patch in there
that I would love folks who have the ‘stuttering’ playback woes to try
out. While its not an ideal solution, it might help – it did for me.

See Single channel patch # 6 vs # 5.

I tried playing an 1152×640 Photo Jpeg movie, about 650MB in size,
25fps, playing patch # 5 resulted in visible stutters, whereas patch
6, I could not notice them in any way.

Credit to Luke Dubois and Josh Goldberg about the technique. it does
not solve all issues (and introduces a few others) (ideally patch 5
and 6 should behave the same), but, alas… it might help narrow down
the problem?

Let me know if these patches are useful: ive posted them here.

http://abstrakt.vade.info/?p=147

Thank you,


November 29, 2007 | 8:28 pm

On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:06 PM, vade wrote:

> Tired of seeing the same questions on the list, I put together 12
> patches that show better and better techniques for single and dual
> channel quicktime playback. These patches are aimed more at
> beginner and intermediate users looking for quicktime movie playback.

Super examples, Anton! Many thanks for sharing. I’m glad to hear that
you guys were able to find an acceptable (if slightly cumbersome)
solution to this issue. Hopefully in the next major release of Jitter
(not for a while, since the next Jitter release is primarily a
compatibility release for Max 5), we’ll make it much simpler to make
patches like #6 and #12.

-Joshua


November 29, 2007 | 8:45 pm

:)

Unfortunately I havent adopted technique #6 in any of my patches, but
I plan on giving it a go. I’ll be happy to report back. Id love to
hear feedback from others who have reported the judder issue.

I hadnt seen mention of this method on the list, so I thought id put
it out there. No idea if it is a definitive solution for everyone.

On Nov 29, 2007, at 3:28 PM, Joshua Kit Clayton wrote:

>
> On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:06 PM, vade wrote:
>
>> Tired of seeing the same questions on the list, I put together 12
>> patches that show better and better techniques for single and dual
>> channel quicktime playback. These patches are aimed more at
>> beginner and intermediate users looking for quicktime movie playback.
>
> Super examples, Anton! Many thanks for sharing. I’m glad to hear
> that you guys were able to find an acceptable (if slightly
> cumbersome) solution to this issue. Hopefully in the next major
> release of Jitter (not for a while, since the next Jitter release is
> primarily a compatibility release for Max 5), we’ll make it much
> simpler to make patches like #6 and #12.
>
> -Joshua


November 29, 2007 | 10:59 pm

mods, please sticky this



pry
November 30, 2007 | 12:00 am

nice, kind and useful work…
Many Thanks Vade


November 30, 2007 | 12:14 am

Nice,
Just a question: Why is it that you use a ‘metro’ for CPU patches and
a ‘qmetro’ for the GPU ones.
Thanks

JS


November 30, 2007 | 12:38 am


November 30, 2007 | 12:55 am


November 30, 2007 | 2:18 am

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

A thousand internets to you.

b

On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:06 PM, vade wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Tired of seeing the same questions on the list, I put together 12
> patches that show better and better techniques for single and dual
> channel quicktime playback. These patches are aimed more at
> beginner and intermediate users looking for quicktime movie playback.
>
> I hope people find these interesting. There is also a patch in
> there that I would love folks who have the ‘stuttering’ playback
> woes to try out. While its not an ideal solution, it might help –
> it did for me.
>
> See Single channel patch # 6 vs # 5.
>
> I tried playing an 1152×640 Photo Jpeg movie, about 650MB in size,
> 25fps, playing patch # 5 resulted in visible stutters, whereas
> patch 6, I could not notice them in any way.
>
> Credit to Luke Dubois and Josh Goldberg about the technique. it
> does not solve all issues (and introduces a few others) (ideally
> patch 5 and 6 should behave the same), but, alas… it might help
> narrow down the problem?
>
> Let me know if these patches are useful: ive posted them here.
>
> http://abstrakt.vade.info/?p=147
>
> Thank you,

Barry Threw
Media Art and Technology

San Francisco, CA Work: 857-544-3967
Email: bthrew@gmail.com
IM: captogreadmore (AIM)
http:/www.barrythrew.com


November 30, 2007 | 8:45 am

Nice collection vade!

Hopefully, this might cut a bit of bandwidth if placed as a sticky…

And you fooled me with #2!


November 30, 2007 | 3:44 pm

thank you vade

On Nov 30, 2007 4:18 AM, barry threw wrote:

> You are a gentleman and a scholar.
>
> A thousand internets to you.
>
> b
>
> On Nov 29, 2007, at 12:06 PM, vade wrote:
>
> > Hi.
> >
> > Tired of seeing the same questions on the list, I put together 12
> > patches that show better and better techniques for single and dual
> > channel quicktime playback. These patches are aimed more at
> > beginner and intermediate users looking for quicktime movie playback.
> >
> > I hope people find these interesting. There is also a patch in
> > there that I would love folks who have the ‘stuttering’ playback
> > woes to try out. While its not an ideal solution, it might help -
> > it did for me.
> >
> > See Single channel patch # 6 vs # 5.
> >
> > I tried playing an 1152×640 Photo Jpeg movie, about 650MB in size,
> > 25fps, playing patch # 5 resulted in visible stutters, whereas
> > patch 6, I could not notice them in any way.
> >
> > Credit to Luke Dubois and Josh Goldberg about the technique. it
> > does not solve all issues (and introduces a few others) (ideally
> > patch 5 and 6 should behave the same), but, alas… it might help
> > narrow down the problem?
> >
> > Let me know if these patches are useful: ive posted them here.
> >
> > http://abstrakt.vade.info/?p=147
> >
> > Thank you,
>
> Barry Threw
> Media Art and Technology
>
>
> San Francisco, CA Work: 857-544-3967
> Email: bthrew@gmail.com
> IM: captogreadmore (AIM)
> http:/www.barrythrew.com
>
>
>
>


November 30, 2007 | 5:52 pm

#5: why not just have the videoplane be @colormode uyvy? why go
through the extra effort of using the cc.uyvy2rgba.lite shader?

On Nov 29, 2007, at 3:06 PM, vade wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Tired of seeing the same questions on the list, I put together 12
> patches that show better and better techniques for single and dual
> channel quicktime playback. These patches are aimed more at beginner
> and intermediate users looking for quicktime movie playback.
>
> I hope people find these interesting. There is also a patch in there
> that I would love folks who have the ‘stuttering’ playback woes to
> try out. While its not an ideal solution, it might help – it did for
> me.
>
> See Single channel patch # 6 vs # 5.
>
> I tried playing an 1152×640 Photo Jpeg movie, about 650MB in size,
> 25fps, playing patch # 5 resulted in visible stutters, whereas patch
> 6, I could not notice them in any way.
>
> Credit to Luke Dubois and Josh Goldberg about the technique. it does
> not solve all issues (and introduces a few others) (ideally patch 5
> and 6 should behave the same), but, alas… it might help narrow
> down the problem?
>
> Let me know if these patches are useful: ive posted them here.
>
> http://abstrakt.vade.info/?p=147
>
> Thank you,
>


November 30, 2007 | 10:41 pm

I recall reading on the list that windows machines are not able to
natively handle uyvy textures without this shader conversion to RGBA.

Thus if you use other slab processes, uyvy textures will uh, not work
(can I get an official answer on this, no PC around to try).

On Nov 30, 2007, at 12:52 PM, joshua goldberg wrote:

> #5: why not just have the videoplane be @colormode uyvy? why go
> through the extra effort of using the cc.uyvy2rgba.lite shader?
>
> On Nov 29, 2007, at 3:06 PM, vade wrote:
>
>> Hi.
>>
>> Tired of seeing the same questions on the list, I put together 12
>> patches that show better and better techniques for single and dual
>> channel quicktime playback. These patches are aimed more at
>> beginner and intermediate users looking for quicktime movie playback.
>>
>> I hope people find these interesting. There is also a patch in
>> there that I would love folks who have the ‘stuttering’ playback
>> woes to try out. While its not an ideal solution, it might help –
>> it did for me.
>>
>> See Single channel patch # 6 vs # 5.
>>
>> I tried playing an 1152×640 Photo Jpeg movie, about 650MB in size,
>> 25fps, playing patch # 5 resulted in visible stutters, whereas
>> patch 6, I could not notice them in any way.
>>
>> Credit to Luke Dubois and Josh Goldberg about the technique. it
>> does not solve all issues (and introduces a few others) (ideally
>> patch 5 and 6 should behave the same), but, alas… it might help
>> narrow down the problem?
>>
>> Let me know if these patches are useful: ive posted them here.
>>
>> http://abstrakt.vade.info/?p=147
>>
>> Thank you,
>>
>


December 1, 2007 | 1:01 am

On Nov 30, 2007, at 2:41 PM, vade wrote:

> I recall reading on the list that windows machines are not able to
> natively handle uyvy textures without this shader conversion to RGBA.
>
> Thus if you use other slab processes, uyvy textures will uh, not
> work (can I get an official answer on this, no PC around to try).

Correct. @colormode UYVY for jit.gl.texture and jit.gl.videoplane
requires the use of CPU conversion without this shader, since a UYVY
pixel format is not commonly supported on PC as it is on Apple.

FWIW, this shader actually even looks better than Apple’s native UYVY
pixel format support, since it will perform chroma-smoothing and if
desired with the other uyvy shaders, appropriate color processing to
eliminate the "washed out" look of UYVY video as compared to QT RGB
rendering which applies Gamma correction.

-Joshua


December 2, 2007 | 6:00 pm


December 6, 2007 | 5:40 pm

ahhh thanks so much Vade! Motivation. This should be an in depth article?


Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)