Random Crashes with 5.1.8

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:03am

Random Crashes with 5.1.8

Hi,

I have been getting random crashes and hangs with 5.1.8 and the 5.1.8 beta on various patches – new and old. I can’t reproduce anything – seems completely random, but its always after I have been working for a while. One day whenever I sent stop to a jit.qt.movie object that have been playing for 10 min or so it would hang – happened two or three times, but not every time. Once max crashed during a show :( which is really rare for me these days.

Similar things were happening when I was using the 5.1.8 beta (which i was using so I could check out the new version of Polybuffer~)

Both times when I went back and reinstalled 5.1.7 the random crashes stopped. I am currently running 5.1.7 so as not to have the random crashes :)

Could not find anything on the forums about this so I was wondering if I was alone?

Maybe some 3rd party objects I have installed are messing things up? I guess i could try that but I’ll have to wait until after gigs this weekend. I can not think of any pattern of any particular 3rd party object I was always using when it happened.

I’m running on a Macbook Pro early 2008 2.4GHz with OS X 10.6.7 with a MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid audio interface.

I’ve got crashlogs I’m attaching in a zip file.

cheers,
Arvid

#56525
Jul 19, 2011 at 6:38pm

Hey – I decided to try Max 5.1.8 on my mac at work (macbook wth 10.5.8) to see if I also got random crashes with Max 5.1.8 and I do! This is a completely different machine running a different version of the OS and I still get random weird crashes in 5.1.8 and not in 5.1.7. This machine does not have jitter installed.

Is no one else really experiencing this? I’m removing all the 3rd party externals form this machine that I don’t need right now and going to see if that improves things…

#202706
Jul 22, 2011 at 7:19am

I also had random crashes those last days (Max5.1.8 over X.6.7), which is quite unusual. Didn’t really tried to solve this yet. The crashes occur while patching (dsp on or off). Nothing special in the patch (fiddle~ being the only 3rd party object) beside 9 instances of audiounit~ with the Reverberate plug-in.

#202707
Aug 2, 2011 at 4:28am

I think the crashes i was getting at work (linked lists were mentioned in the crashlog always) were javascript related – and I was using Max Toolbox. I hate to lose Max Toolbox because it’s so useful, but it seems the crashes have gone away since I removed it. Just to clarify, crashes did not happen when i invoked functions of max toolbox, just randomly crashed ahen patching when max toolbox was loaded.

Have not tried that on my personal mac yet though. Don’t remember if the crash logs were similar.

#202708
Aug 22, 2011 at 2:10am

max 5.1.8 is now working fine on my 10.6 system after removing max toolbox. No crashes yet! That must have been the cause. I submitted a bug report to the max toolbox project on google code.

#202709

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.