Forums > MaxMSP

random object starting @ -2

February 14, 2010 | 12:19 pm

Hi, simple noob question here. Is there any way to set up a random metro that allows the starting point of the random object to be less than zero e.g. -2? I can’t seem to find anything on the tutorials, although I concede that doesn’t mean they are not there. Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance
Nick

February 14, 2010 | 12:24 pm

You can scale it with the maths operator objects. Try connecting a [- 2] to the output of [random].

lh

February 14, 2010 | 2:26 pm

I’ve given that a try but am still receiving a little trouble. No output will give any minus value… here is my work so far:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

Thanks for the patience.
Nick

February 14, 2010 | 2:28 pm

There needs to be a space between the -minus- sign and the number.

lh

February 14, 2010 | 2:33 pm

Or you can solve it like this:

February 14, 2010 | 4:40 pm

Perfect, thanks to both of you! Great help
N

February 14, 2010 | 5:01 pm

I know this is pushing it now but how would I randomise the metro values? I should probably carry on with the next few tutorials but ‘you don’t ask, you don’t get’. I have tried placing a a scaling object and random object before the metro but I am having trouble configuring it… here is what I have got. If you guys are getting sick of me it would be really usefull if you could just direct me to the right tutorial..

February 14, 2010 | 6:51 pm

you can set to metro time interval by sending values in metro’s right inlet. So all you have to do is add another "random" number generator that is triggered by the metro’s output:

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)