Forums > MaxMSP

Random Selections from Polybuffer?

November 26, 2012 | 10:17 am

Hi I posted a thread but had no response…..

I was previously looking at sflist for the answer but perhaps polybuffer~ is the object?

I really need to know the least convoluted way of randomly swapping samples in a buffer that is read by the 2d.wave~ object, this random swapping would be in time to a metro object.

I hope somebody can help

Peace

Danny

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

November 26, 2012 | 11:14 am

OK so I managed to work it out thanks to bastardizing bits of code from other patches :)

Does anybody know how to loose the clicks/pops that occur when the different samples are flicked between?

Peace

Danny

November 26, 2012 | 12:50 pm

I had a brief look at your patch, but couldn’t work it. Uploading a patch which is ready to go or has instructions really helps.

I think I get the idea though. If you change the buffer~ which the 2dwave~ reads from you are always going to get a click. Perhaps the solution is to have 2 players and then crossfade between them (using Line~ perhaps). So for every transition you set the buffer on the player not in use then crossfade over to it, thereby avoiding the click.

November 26, 2012 | 4:59 pm

By the very nature of what you’re trying to do, there will be discontinuities, hence clicks.
You could try adapting the wavefader abstraction in the /Examples/sampling folder i.e just substituting 2d.wave~ for wave~, but that’s only one source of several for discontinuities.
I think you’re trying to randomise too many parameters at once – avoiding clicks is almost impossible when everything is changing with little or no reference to each other, and you can get plenty of glitchy sounds from 2d.wave~ without randomising everything. Taking out the randomisation of the loop end point, for example instantly reduces the number of clicks,
And using signal based randomisation (rand~) rather than metro driven random nos. should also help.
Here’s a version with some of those modifications – it still clicks, but hopefully a bit less so!
Cheers
Roger

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)