Forums > MaxMSP

Randomize patch parameters

June 5, 2012 | 11:38 am

I wonder if there’s an easy way to randomize parameters of different kind (int, float, symbol)? I guess the pattr object is the key but how? Any help would be appreciated!

June 5, 2012 | 11:55 am

Fill a [coll] with your different "random" values and use [random] or [urn] to send them out in random order

June 5, 2012 | 12:02 pm

Thanks but how do I connect the parameters with the random number generators? What if I need to connect lots of parameters of different types to generators?

June 5, 2012 | 12:24 pm

Have a look at the help files and play around with the objects. My explanation will make sense pretty quickly

June 5, 2012 | 12:50 pm

Will do then, thanks!

June 5, 2012 | 6:03 pm

What I still want to know is how to bind to multiple parameters and randomise them. How can I access dozens of parameters and bind them to random number generators?

June 5, 2012 | 6:26 pm

Not sure exactly what you are after, but here is a very basic example.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

June 5, 2012 | 7:19 pm

Hmm, thought about it but it means having to create a random generator to each and every slider, dial etc. Thanks anyway!

June 5, 2012 | 7:49 pm

Ok, but each parameter is going to need its own range of values, yes? Still not sure what you want, but here’s a variation on the approach.

June 5, 2012 | 8:03 pm

Also, I would like to b able to control the amount of random in percentage applied to the parameters.

June 5, 2012 | 8:27 pm

In the last example, the input into the third inlet of [drunk 100] does this

June 6, 2012 | 7:35 am

You keep blowing my mind. Thanks!

June 6, 2012 | 4:13 pm

If you use the live.number, live.dial, etc. objects you can use the "rawfloat" message to do randomization within the object’s min/max bounds without having to know what they are first.

You can see it in my EML-200 project if you go the sequencer and check out the randomization code.

June 7, 2012 | 8:10 am

Here’s something I put together to help me randomise incoming float values within +/- a given percentage – it might work for you.

save as sm.within%.maxpat:

and save as sm.within%.maxhelp:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)