Forums > Max For Live

re-using encapsulated controls

May 10, 2011 | 2:52 pm

Hello

Just had my first play with Max for Live and got a noobish question about something I couldn’t find in the docs:

How do you re-use encapsulated controls?

For example, in the tutorials, there is a demonstration of encapsulating a WetDry control. I’m assuming that part of the idea behind that is not having to build that control more than once. With that in mind, I saved the encapsulated patch in ./patches/ (which is in my search path as per the docs), then created a new Max audio effect, created a new object and typed "patcher WetDry" but that brings up a new window saying "double click to create new patch".

The only way I have found to get the WetDry control into another patcher is to copy and paste it, but I’m guessing I’m missing something here. I also get the feeling there may be a bunch of useful encapsulated controls bundled with the software, but I think I’m missing something obvious about how to browse and insert them.

Thanks in advance for any advice. =]

May 10, 2011 | 3:51 pm

look into the bpatcher object your can go into the object’s inspector and load your patch from there and also open it in presentation mode. If that is what you mean?

Hope this helps

May 10, 2011 | 4:21 pm

Thanks for your reply. I’m afraid I don’t follow though.

If I make a new patcher and want to include my "WetDry.maxpat" patch into it, how do I do that?

May 10, 2011 | 5:19 pm

Ah sorry I totally messed you around then.
If you wish to load up a subpatch make sure its saved in the same route directory as your parent patcher and then simply type the saved file name into a new object box.

Please see the enclosed patch hopefully it’ll explain.

Attachments:
  1. patching.zip

May 10, 2011 | 11:16 pm

so basically just type WetDry into a new object box and if the subpatch is within the same directory on your harddrive as the parent patcher max will locate it and then it can be used. Hopefully thats solved you problem

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)