Forums > MaxMSP

Real Time Quantiser

April 15, 2006 | 4:21 pm

I am making a real time quantiser in which one can adjust how many beats to allow per bar.
A bar is 256 steps set by a metronome incrimenting a number sequence attached to the input of modulo 256.
If i divide by the number steps in a bar by the number of beats i want in a bar ie 256 / 3
then i get a resultant output of 85
If i use another % object, then i can count up to this number however i want it to output a bang only when the output here is zero.
I am using a == 0 object on the output but it just bangs every time the metronome counts.

Is there a way to get this to bang only when the output is zero?

I tried to attach a file, but had some problems.

Thanks

phoenix

April 15, 2006 | 4:51 pm

Take a look at the help files, etc. you will find that == 0 outputs a
’1′ when it receives a zero, and a ’0′ when ti receives anything else,
so what you need to do is select only the ‘true’, ie ’1′ output – then
you find that there is an object called ‘select’………….

Have fun!

L

Lawrence Casserley – lawrence@lcasserley.co.uk
Lawrence Electronic Operations – http://www.lcasserley.co.uk
Colourscape Music Festivals – http://www.colourscape.org.uk

April 23, 2006 | 7:26 pm

Hi i’m having some trouble with this patch i am working on, in that i am trying to divide a 256 by the number of beats in a bar and using the modulo function to output a bang when it reaches zero. however when i change this to 256/7 it recieves a float number however it rounds this down to the nearest int and therefor i get a double click at the end of each 256 because it finishes the 7 beats before. If i used two metronomes then there might be timing inaccuracies. Is there a number which exactly divides into every possible division of 256?

I tried uploading my Patch but am not sure if it has worked – can you see the patch? If not how can i upload my Max patch?
Thanks – Tim

April 23, 2006 | 7:41 pm

April 23, 2006 | 8:51 pm

but be aware, as I discovered when I tried to post a patch late
Friday, that there is a size limit. If it exceeds it the message goes
into a holding place until the moderator looks at it. It wasn’t a
very big patch either!

David

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)