real time quantize

Aug 4, 2008 at 1:21pm

real time quantize

This is a simple patch to illustrate a simple concept. But is there an even simpler way to do it (ie like just using one object that’s already designed to do input quantizing?)

TM

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
#39132
Aug 4, 2008 at 2:36pm

i’d be interested to look at it, but i am on 4. could you tell a bit more about what you are trying to do? or include the file as a .maxpat attachment so i can convert it.

thx

#137397
Aug 4, 2008 at 3:07pm

It’d be easier not to have to measure the times/delays for each event and just collect events since the last tick and dump them out on the next tick.

See attached.

#137398
Aug 4, 2008 at 11:00pm

Here’s the attached version. I’m sorry about the patch being incompatible with max 4. In my opinion this incompatibility sucks big time as it basically splits the max community in half- the ‘have-fives’ and the ‘have-not-fives’. I believe it is basically a very juvenile decision on the part of ‘cycling 74′. Its like some local government putting a freeway in the middle of a suburb and thereby ruining it by dividing it. I could keep up the metaphors, but I’m sure you could think of a few others yourselves. c74 have vandalized (inadvertently?intentionally?)their own community.

#137399
Aug 4, 2008 at 11:04pm

Yeah, thanks, that’s simpler, and more importantly a different approach. I appreciate your looking at it and responding.
tm

#137400
Aug 4, 2008 at 11:17pm

Quote: Terry McDermott wrote on Mon, 04 August 2008 16:00
—————————————————-
> Here’s the attached version. I’m sorry about the patch being incompatible with max 4. In my opinion this incompatibility sucks big time as it basically splits the max community in half- the ‘have-fives’ and the ‘have-not-fives’.
—————————————————-

Well, given that it’s basically impossible to do a complete job of the Max 5 -> Max 4 conversion, it’s easy for me to see why Cycling didn’t want to invest time in it.

I would rather they spend their time on the SDK, Pluggo, and Jitter 2 than on an imperfect 5->4 converter.

#137401
Aug 4, 2008 at 11:43pm

I agree with Chris Muir on the conversion-thing, and I like how he puts it, too(looking forward and all).

But just in case you didn’t know about this supercollider Max5-Max4 converter(it works for some things, not everything…), you could check it out here:

by fredrik oloffsson:
> written in supercollider… ;-)
>
> max5 .maxpat to max4 .pat converter
>
> download MaxPat.zip from http://www.fredrikolofsson.com/pages/
> code-sc.html
> download supercollider 3.2 or newer from http://
> supercollider.sourceforge.net
> see readme for installation instructions and info on how the
> conversion works

#137402
Aug 4, 2008 at 11:49pm

The patch I posted on this thread and a million others like it would easily be convertible as it contains objects from the common object set of v4/v5. Obviously there are limitations to a conversion from ‘format-5.x’ back to ‘format-4.x’. That’s not my point; neither is speculation how much time they would or would not spend on other parts of the software development. My point is it has evidently been intentionally designed that way, to have built-in incompatibility (or more accurately, ‘built-out’ potential compatibility). It is that and only that that sucks.

tm

Quote: Chris Muir wrote on Tue, 05 August 2008 09:17

> Well, given that it’s basically impossible to do a complete job of the Max 5 -> Max 4 conversion, it’s easy for me to see why Cycling didn’t want to invest time in it.
>
> I would rather they spend their time on the SDK, Pluggo, and Jitter 2 than on an imperfect 5->4 converter.
>
>
—————————————————-

#137403
Aug 5, 2008 at 12:00am

Thanks for the tip– I do know about the sc converter, and its great that fredrik ahs done this, but it is not the point. The point is people should not have to resort to roundabout ways to circumvent easily fixable limitations in the software. The fact that a third party has found a way of converting files shows just how easily c74 could do it and it also illustrates some kind of corporate laziness and maybe even a disregard for the community it has built up over the years. Sorry, but it’s also got nothing to do with looking forwards, backwards sideways or any other way.

gotta go

tm

Quote: RabidRaja wrote on Tue, 05 August 2008 09:43
—————————————————-
> I agree with Chris Muir on the conversion-thing, and I like how he puts it, too(looking forward and all).
>
> But just in case you didn’t know about this supercollider Max5-Max4 converter(it works for some things, not everything…), you could check it out here:
>
> by fredrik oloffsson:
> > written in supercollider… ;-)
> >
> > max5 .maxpat to max4 .pat converter
> >
> > download MaxPat.zip from http://www.fredrikolofsson.com/pages/
> > code-sc.html
> > download supercollider 3.2 or newer from http://
> > supercollider.sourceforge.net
> > see readme for installation instructions and info on how the
> > conversion works
—————————————————-

#137404
Aug 5, 2008 at 12:25am

To each his own, i still prefer Cycling’74 to focus on the more important issues of newer functionalities.

(the lightbulb by your name says you haven’t gone yet, so i figured i’d reply)

#137405
Aug 5, 2008 at 12:28am

On Aug 4, 2008, at 5:00 PM, Terry McDermott wrote:
> Thanks for the tip– I do know about the sc converter, and its great
> that fredrik ahs done this, but it is not the point. The point is
> people should not have to resort to roundabout ways to circumvent
> easily fixable limitations in the software. The fact that a third
> party has found a way of converting files shows just how easily c74
> could do it and it also illustrates some kind of corporate laziness
> and maybe even a disregard for the community it has built up over
> the years. Sorry, but it’s also got nothing to do with looking
> forwards, backwards sideways or any other way.

If it was Max5 had a convertor that did a less than 100% job, people
would scream. If a third-party developer comes up with an 80% solution
that’s a good thing. It has to do with people’s expectations. Trying
to do a comprehensive job at this conversion is a nigh-on
insurmountable problem.

I don’t think that Cycling created a new file format with the intent
of balkanizing the community, that’s just an unfortunate side effect
of the progress that was made in the Max 5 implementation.

Chris Muir
cbm@well.com

http://www.xfade.com

#137406
Aug 5, 2008 at 2:10am

Quote: Chris Muir wrote on Tue, 05 August 2008 01:17
—————————————————-
> Quote: Terry McDermott wrote on Mon, 04 August 2008 16:00
> —————————————————-
> > it basically splits the max community in half- the ‘have-fives’ and the ‘have-not-fives’.
> —————————————————-
>
> I would rather they spend their time on the SDK, Pluggo, and Jitter 2 than on an imperfect 5->4 converter.
>
>

Very true. This “great divide” is a non-issue.

#137407
Aug 5, 2008 at 3:21pm

yay for pluggo, sdk, and other newish, useful things.

fredrik has done a great thing in making the patch converter for those who want it. we all do have finite resources and must make choices. and as for ‘to each his own’, whenever i read suggestions that max is incomplete without a standard au~ object, it puts me in a very cold, dark place.

ymmv.

–dave

#137408
Aug 5, 2008 at 5:55pm

Max 5′s system of time management has quantization built in

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

-A

#137409
Aug 5, 2008 at 7:48pm

Ah, interesting. So to do the equivalent(ish) of my coll patch you could do:

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –
#137410
Aug 6, 2008 at 2:32pm

#137411
Aug 6, 2008 at 2:49pm

Terry McDermott schrieb:
> My point is it has evidently been intentionally designed that way, to
> have built-in incompatibility (or more accurately, ‘built-out’
> potential compatibility). It is that and only that that sucks.

If you look at a patch as text in Max 4 and in Max 5, it is evident,
that a lot of the problems which had been caused by a not readable
format are solved by changing the format. If the old format had been
good in any regard they would have kept it. It was the best point to
ditch it, as the whole application had been rewritten…
C74 expressed several times, that they are happy if anybody creates a
converter.
That had been done, and if its not good enough for you, I suggest to
include into your version an unpacker for the compressed format…

Happy coding…

Stefan


Stefan Tiedje————x——-
–_____———–|————–
–(_|_ —-|—–|—–()——-
– _|_)—-|—–()————–
———-()——–www.ccmix.com

#137412
Aug 6, 2008 at 8:51pm

This time management has been a bit of a double-edged sword for my work:
On one hand it’s a remarkable update and really interesting to work with
(great example, too, Andrew – pipe is my new favourite object!!!! )

On the other I really feel the documentation is lacking in this area – I
see little snippets being inserted into the help files, and I’ve seen
the Time Management page in the reference, but… I don’t know, somehow
it irks me to have to get the goodies on the max list like this. Then
there are some objects that respond to it, some which do it in a limited
fashion and so on.

Are there specific parts of the new lessons we all need to do?

Demystify this for us, please :)

Andreas

> Max 5′s system of time management has quantization built in
>
> ———-begin_max5_patcher———-

This post seems to contain a broken pasted patch. This can happen if you don’t copy the entire “———-begin_max5_patcher———-” or “———–end_max5_patcher———–” for each and every patch you paste; perhaps you missed a preceding or trailing “-” when you copied the patch? Please notify the Cycling 74 web team if you think it is a bug.

#137413
Aug 6, 2008 at 11:13pm

I recommend a thorough scouring of Manuel’s awesome ITM modular synth, boogie box, you name it example

Cycling ’74Max 5.0examplessequencing-loopingCyclistMusic

From there, all the objects have ref pages. If you get stuck, yell out.

-A

#137414
Aug 12, 2008 at 12:43pm

Thanks for your response(s); will study Max’s time management features (I never read manuals, no, not really).
tm

#137415
Aug 14, 2008 at 8:30pm

there’s also this one:

Max5/examples/interface/live-quantize.maxpat

real simple, quick and easy.

#137416
Oct 12, 2009 at 6:20pm

Simply great little patch!

How would one go about building a system with different quantization settings for the on and off states?

I’ve been trying figure this out but I’m not very familiar with the new timing schemes of version

Thanks for any help,
P.

#137417

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.