Forums > MaxMSP

Realtime sample software… in MSP?

January 26, 2008 | 2:25 pm

Hi all!

I’m looking for some software to handle simultaneous sampling (recording) and looping (playback), from the audio input (mic) of my laptop. I want to use this in real-time, on stage performances.

The first sample is placed in a track, and begins to loop. While this loops, I can record a second sample in a new track, which immediately begins to loop on top of the first one.

Having such a stack of tracks, I want to be able to delete, mute and re-start individual tracks. I’m thinking the GUI is a timeline of the stack of tracks.

Is MAX/MSP a suitable environment for creating something like this? I just thought I’d get some advice before attempting to learn all this stuff :)

P.s. Please let me know if you know of an existing application doing just this!


January 26, 2008 | 2:50 pm

Sounds like a job for Ableton Live, unless you want to learn MaxMSP
and program it yourself. If you want the challenge of learning, go
for it. If you just want to make music, look at Ableton Live.

On Jan 26, 2008, at 7:25 AM, Joakim wrote:

>
> Hi all!
>
> I’m looking for some software to handle simultaneous sampling
> (recording) and looping (playback), from the audio input (mic) of
> my laptop. I want to use this in real-time, on stage performances.
>
> The first sample is placed in a track, and begins to loop. While
> this loops, I can record a second sample in a new track, which
> immediately begins to loop on top of the first one.
>
> Having such a stack of tracks, I want to be able to delete, mute
> and re-start individual tracks.
>
> Is MAX/MSP a suitable environment for creating something like this?
> I just thought I’d get some advice before attempting to learn all
> this stuff :)
>
> P.s. Please let me know if you know of an existing application
> doing just this!

—-
Steven M. Miller
Professor, Contemporary Music Program
College of Santa Fe

Home < http://pubweb.csf.edu/~smill>
SFIFEM <
http://sfifem.csf.edu>
Atrium Sound Space <
http://atrium.csf.edu>
OVOS <
http://pubweb.csf.edu/~smill/ovos.html>
CMP <
http://www.csf.edu/academics/contemporary_music/>


January 26, 2008 | 5:16 pm


January 26, 2008 | 5:33 pm

Btw, the software should be controllable by foot pedal :)
For instance, if keyboard keys can be mapped to controls (eg, R for record, D for delete track, etc), I was thinking of hard-wiring the innards of a USB keyboard to foot-switches for a DIY pedal interface.

I looked at Ableton; seems a bit overkill… Surely, there must be some hack-ish app for this already? I think…


January 26, 2008 | 5:38 pm

check this:

http://www.essej.net/sooperlooper/


January 26, 2008 | 5:54 pm

I’ve written a piece of software in Max/MSP called kenaxis.

http://www.kenaxis.com/

Can do everything you want. You might want to download the demo and as an example of what is possible in max/msp or perhaps it will do the trick for you.

Stefan


January 26, 2008 | 7:19 pm


January 26, 2008 | 7:28 pm

Quote: stefan@kenaxis.com wrote on Sat, 26 January 2008 10:54
—————————————————-
> I’ve written a piece of software in Max/MSP called kenaxis.
>
> http://www.kenaxis.com/
>
> Can do everything you want. You might want to download the demo and as an example of what is possible in max/msp or perhaps it will do the trick for you.
>
> Stefan
—————————————————-

That looks interesting! I’ll have a look at it, thanks :)
Impressive!


January 27, 2008 | 12:11 am


Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)