Forums > MaxMSP

receive set

March 6, 2009 | 11:08 am

I have this patch inside a poly~ in which voice 1 initializes fine, but the other voices don’t. The input takes in the voice number after thispoly gets loadbanged, and the "set b[i]" message is never accepted by the [receive]. It is in voice 1, but none of the others. This problem is so incredibly frustrating, I have no idea what is going on here.

I’m starting to get cabin fever because of how long I’ve been obsessively working on this patch without sleeping, and this is literally the only remaining problem keeping it from working. I think I’m being mocked by my computer.

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

March 6, 2009 | 11:29 am
Bryan Dodson wrote on Fri, 06 March 2009 12:08
I have this patch inside a poly~ in which voice 1 initializes fine, but the other voices don’t. The input takes in the voice number after thispoly gets loadbanged, and the "set b[i]" message is never accepted by the [receive]. It is in voice 1, but none of the others.

Bryan, i just put your small patch in a [p boo], connected a [thispoly~] to the input of [p boo], saved as foo an created a patch with a [poly~ foo 8].

I hope this is what you also do.

Anyway, 8 [receive ] instances are created and named b1,b2,… b8. And they all do receive data from [send ].

So I don’t understand your problem. By the way, maybe the "target" message to [poly~] would be a better way to do what you want to do.

March 6, 2009 | 11:39 am

I figured out that the problem wasn’t with the receive, but the send. I was assuming that [send] could be assigned a target with "set", and I really don’t understand why it can’t.

March 6, 2009 | 12:09 pm
Bryan Dodson wrote on Fri, 06 March 2009 12:39
I figured out that the problem wasn’t with the receive, but the send. I was assuming that [send] could be assigned a target with "set", and I really don’t understand why it can’t.

It can’t because there is another object for this: [forward]. Note that you must use the "send" message to define the target, not "set".

p

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)