Forums > MaxMSP

Recognising a certain gesture

Joe
July 1, 2013 | 11:08 am

Hi guys

I posted a while back about recognising a significant movement (gesture) and everyone was really helpful.

I now have a similar question regarding a gesture that is specifically right to left. Is the best method of recognising this gesture to monitor velocity? Or should it be a combination of monitoring gesture velocity and gesture position?

Or is it something completely different?

All the best

Joe Gornall

July 1, 2013 | 1:18 pm

Hi

it would depend entirely on what kind of data you’re getting (noise-level, resolution etc) but the simplest method for me would be to subtract a previous value from the current, then a positive result means decreasing input/numbers, and vice-versa:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

But you said as much in your question :)
Brendan

July 1, 2013 | 1:23 pm

ooops

just saw the related thread you mentioned; the above patch doesn’t really add anything new to the solution I posted there : {

Joe
July 1, 2013 | 3:04 pm

With that patch you posted, can it be changed to only toggle on when the movement is really fast and the distance is about 50% of the scale?

Does that make sense?

All the best

J

July 2, 2013 | 5:39 am

You’ll have to judge for yourself what constitutes "50%" as you haven’t given us any specific environment variables, but you can set a threshold like this:

<code>

– Pasted Max Patch, click to expand. –

</code>

Brendan

July 2, 2013 | 9:50 am

HI JOE

"I posted a while back about recognising a significant movement (gesture) "
—> could you tell me where your post is please.
Thanks so much

Denis

Joe
July 2, 2013 | 11:10 am

denis – http://cycling74.com/forums/topic/understanding-numerical-patterns/#post-254376

n00b, sorry I was being a bit unclear. I am getting a constant stream of x&y coordinates, but I am trying to get a bang when the velocity (which I have now set thanks to your addition to the patch) and the distance (ie the x coordinates which ranges from 0 – 320) is "significant". By that I mean the numbers for the x-coordinates quickly changes from a number like 300. to 30..

Does that make it any clearer or am I just talking nonsense

All the best,

J

July 2, 2013 | 11:40 am

Thank you JOE, it’s kind of you

Denis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)