Forums > MaxMSP

record playback questions

RDC
February 7, 2009 | 9:58 pm

Hi everyone,

So I want to build a patch that does the following;

- records a 60 second audio sample from an external microphone (record triggered by an external controller)

- saves the sample as an aiff

- after recording, the patch would play back the sample simultaneously with other samples taken previously.

I am trying to create an audio installation that is constantly accumulating sounds from the environment and layering them.

While I know how to record into the buffer I haven’t figured out how to save and index the files for playback. I am also assuming the buffer will continually need to be cleared to make room for new samples, so I am wondering if there is a way to do this automatically.

is any of this possible?

hope someone can help! thanks

February 7, 2009 | 11:37 pm

> While I know how to record into the buffer I haven’t figured out how to save and index the files for playback. I am also assuming the buffer will continually need to be cleared to make room for new samples, so I am wondering if there is a way to do this automatically.

you can specify the file name and path with the ‘write’ message to
[buffer~] to save the recordings- use [sprintf] or [combine] to auto
name them (I use a derivative of [date] for this). You would also
store the file_names in a [coll] or whatever you want for recalling
them.

no need to clear the [buffer~] as a new [record~]ing will just
overwrite ever sample value. the message ‘clear’ does this anyway

from what you’ve said, it sound like [sfrecord~] might do the job also.

I guess the hardest part would be playing back an indeterminate number
of files – [poly~] perhaps?, but only upto 1023 voices…

hope that helps

Sam

2009/2/7 Peter Redecopp :
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> So I want to build a patch that does the following;
>
> – records a 60 second audio sample from an external microphone (record triggered by an external controller)
>
> – saves the sample as an aiff
>
> – after recording, the patch would play back the sample simultaneously with other samples taken previously.
>
>
>
> I am trying to create an audio installation that is constantly accumulating sounds from the environment and layering them.
>
> While I know how to record into the buffer I haven’t figured out how to save and index the files for playback. I am also assuming the buffer will continually need to be cleared to make room for new samples, so I am wondering if there is a way to do this automatically.
>
> is any of this possible?
>
>
> hope someone can help! thanks
>
>
>
>
>

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)