record~/buffer specific file path

Aug 2, 2008 at 11:43pm

record~/buffer specific file path

Hi all

This is a very basic one and yes, I’ve read some posts on this topic of sfrecord~ >a specific file path.

My question is how do I define a file path using [record~]?

The way that I’ve build my patch using the [sprintf] patch works fine.

*The only problem is, the clips that I create are saved in the file path of the last patcher window opened.< -So, of course if the patch I use to record in is not the last one opened the samples are not in the right filepath!;)

So how can I tell the buffer~ to place the samples in a specific location using [record~] ?

I suspect that it would have something to do w. path>[thispatcher] or [ ;
qr_rec_path "Macintosh HD:My Audio Folder:"] that I’ve found the extra’s folder.

I thought I would use record~ instead of sfrecord~ because I read in a post that is has less latency with automatic playback. (Also, I like the fact that you can directly see in the [waveform~ display] what is being recorded instead of at the end like w. [sfrecord~].
(the downside you have to specify buffer lenght

thanks a lot for any tips on this.

Phil

Aug 3, 2008 at 6:00pm

I may not be understanding you completely, but basically, record~ is recording into RAM so you can’t actually define a file to write to using record~ alone. Instead you record~ into buffer~ and then use the “write” message sent to the buffer~ recorded into to save to a soundfile. Unlike sfrecord~, record~ cannot automatically write to a file stored on your hard-disk because it’s writing it into a memory-space allocated in RAM as defined by you when instantiating a buffer~(i guess you could say that while it has less latency with playback it has complete latency with regards to recording-to-file). This means, you must wait ’til after the sound is recorded into a buffer~ to then write it to a soundfile(and this can only be done using the “write” message to buffer~).

With that said, you can probably apply what the posts said about specifying specific paths for sfrecord~ to the “write” message you send to buffer~…. i think… haven’t looked up those posts…

Hope it helps.

Aug 3, 2008 at 7:19pm

Thanks for your advice abid.

That is exactly what i’ve done. Used [sel 1 0]/toggle

THE REAL PROBLEM IS, any sample I record will then be place in the path of the last patch opened. So if the last one opened is not my “recording patch”, then I’m screwed.

Next time I close and reopen max and my recording patch, I will not be able to autoload my samples because they’re placed in the wrong folder.

This is specifically what I’m trying to solve. [No matter in what order you open multiple patches to run/ when I use my "recording patch", samples will be place in the right folder.]

Thanks again for your advice.

phil

Aug 3, 2008 at 9:38pm

you can include paths in your “write” message. For example, at least on OSX, I can do “write /test.aif” and this will write it to my root folder. Or I can do “write /Users/karaokaze/Desktop/tester.aif” to write it to my desktop, etc.

Just specify the absolute path to the folder you want.

Aug 3, 2008 at 10:54pm

thanks so much RabidRaja !

You helped me solve it. I had tried the [write /path], but the problem was that my destination folder had a space in the title.

So i replaced that space in my title w. an “_”and that was it!

One last thing,
I use the [sprintf]< include some "/" in it. I read somewhere that it's not a good idea to include them in the sprintf, because it can sometime behave erratically. < Is that correct in your opinion?

Thanks a lot

I new it had to be simple.

Phil

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:31am

I haven’t seen it behave erratically with “/”s. It should be perfectly fine…
also, there are ways you can get it to read filepaths that have files with spaces in them. You convert the filepath to a symbol using object and then give sprintf the “symout” argument to have it output everything as a symbol.

Better yet, option-click on for the help-file and check out the

subpatch within its help-file for specific examples of what I’m describing.

Glad I could help!

Aug 4, 2008 at 3:31am

Rabid

thanks again for all the tips. I really appreciate you efforts. really< I save time and learn and get tips for more dirt to dig.:)

One last thing

you said
> Or I can do “write /Users/karaokaze/Desktop/tester.aif” to write it to my desktop, etc.

is this the same kareokaze member I suspected to be a sort of guru ;)

Just some fun detective suspicions !!

Thanks again

phil

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:29am

yes, my alter-ego, hehe

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.